Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200R acceleration Question

Hi, I'm new to the GH community and to jet sking in general. I reciently purchased a 2011 FZS and also talked a couple of my friends into buying jetskis as well. One friend in particular purchased an 02 GP1200R after a thumbs up from me. I'm a bit of a gear head so I love 2 cycle engines and going fast and for 2500k with a trailer it seemd like a good purchase.

My question is, How hard are GP1200R's supposed to accelerate v/s the new FZS or how hard to they accelerate in general 0-40mph? I havn't ridden anything else but an old seadoo 2002 GTI 717 3 seater that was all worn out. The Gp1200r accelerates about the same as the GTI just faster...

I ask this because the ski my friend bought shows 258 hours. I assume its been rebuilt, and I look the ski over and it has riva racing parts / stickers on it. Hull looks new, no faded anything. We took the ski out and he hit about 64mph @ 5krpm per dash. The acceleration felt really slow, (IE if we both took off at the same time I'd be 100+ feet ahead by the time he got up to speed.) So my buddy who took my word that the GP1200R was a fast ski felt kinda disapointed. So I started wrenching on it. Checked compression 120psi +/- 1psi in all 3 cylinders (this seems acceptable). Then I noticed the D-ring tabs didnt' line up with the tabs on the exhaust (learned from a youtube vid) and that it was on upside down. So I took the exhaust off flipped the ring around, and when I did I noticed the cat was all busted up into pieces and stuck in the small end of the exhaust. I cleaned all that out reassembled the ski with new plugs, which now sounds 100% better. We went out on the water again and the ski's topped out at about 74mph @ 5900rpm on the display. Once he was going I could barly catch him on the FZS. Even though the top end improved greatly, the acceleration IMO still feels really slow about the same as it was before. The Powervalves seem to be moving and everything seems to be working correctly. I"m not sure if I'm FZS acceleration spoiled or there is something wrong. This is because of my lack of seat time on other skis. Which I need anyone's help on.

I understand there is alot of unknowns about this ski. I have no idea what impeller is in it. I looked in the pump which has a Riva Pump nozzle on it. The impeller is spotless and i'm assuming is aftermarket it looks too awsome and has swirly designs in the stainless as if it were percision shaped) and the stainless wear ring looks new and I don't see any clearance between them, It actually looks like it has less clearance the fzs. The GP1200R doesn't have any cavitation problems.

I'm not even sure how to relay the acceleration into a forum. I suppose I could use the G meter on my cell phone. The acceleration now feels about 1/5th of the FZS and takes about 2-3 seconds to get on plane. And the FZS practially jumps out of the water. Does anyone live in the MD / Bay area have a mean running gp1200R I see for comparison? I was expecting 1200cc's of 2 cycle craziness

Today I'll going to clean / Inspect the PV's since they affect both bottom end and the upper rpm.

On a side note I've been doing some searching and these ski's are supposed to be running 7krpm? I'm starting to wonder if perhaps his ski has some more in it. If it does, I'm not fixing it, or I'll have to buy some parts for mine :P. Thats just how I am.

Banned User
    +1
    Wow way too much to read. Welcome, someone with a longer attention span may chime in

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the forum. a gp1200r wont even come close to hole shot like a FZS the only way that will happen is if you put a whole lot of money into modding the gpr.

+1
    maybe this video will help

Thanks, Sorry for the long post for those with ADD :P, The video didnt' help to much because of the extensive mods. Thanks Jim for the basic answer I needed. After 20 hours on the FZS and this being the first 1200 I've ever Ridden it felt slower then I expected. Its still fast , fun , and reliable (so far) and thats what its all about.

Thanks,

Banned User
    +1
    That gpr IMHO had basic mods unless I missed something

Perhaps, ours doesn't accelerate anywhere near as fast as the one in the video. Perhaps half as fast. So it looks like I've got some wrenching to do, get the RPM's up to where they are supposed to be for starters.

Banned User
    +1
    Start with a compression test

+1
    Stock GP1200R's have the worst holeshot of any ski I've ever ridden. Stock, those things are dogs. But the cool thing about this is it has the fastest hull ever and there is an encyclopedia of info on how to make them faster out there. I saw one run 88 MPH back at MB2. And saw a guy named Leo make them holeshot like a SC'ed ski, will never for get that. So if you like modding two strokes, you bought the right one. Search this forum for Leo's holeshot mods would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the info Jarrett, I'll do some searching.

Compression is 120 +/- 1psi all 3 cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information