+1

display on an sl900 1996

+1
    sorry my phone only lets me reply.....anyway... I have a 900sl that the display doesn't work.....is there a smart way to go about troubleshooting this? should I check a fuse or a wire or battery...what is the main issue with these? the previous owner swears it worked before he changed the battery (which is also a problem right now)....-any pics or info would be awesome!

Banned User
    +1
    There is a 1/4 amp fuse inside the electric box. Check that with an ohm meter. If that checks out, unplug the harness from the display and check for voltage between the red/purple and black wires in the plug. If you have power there, the display may be bad

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwolhar View Post
    sorry my phone only lets me reply.....anyway... I have a 900sl that the display doesn't work.....is there a smart way to go about troubleshooting this? should I check a fuse or a wire or battery...what is the main issue with these? the previous owner swears it worked before he changed the battery (which is also a problem right now)....-any pics or info would be awesome!
    When you get to a real computer check out my signature links. Lots of info there on MFD display.

Make very sure the battery polarity is not backwards and never has been reversed.

+1
    if it was reversed would this fry the display? I am curious about your last reply/advice Bc buying used makes you wonder. if it was on backwards.....wouldn't it no longer start? is there a way to check for evidence of that .....mine is starting and I just bought a new battery and filled it with the acid tonight.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Reverse battery polarity can cause grief to various components. Sometimes nothing suffers permanent damage, but often something dies.

LR voltage regulator and/or stator charging coil can burn out. CDI module might fry. Sometimes the MFD display will fail.

Models with external start solenoids can burn out the internal shunt diode, requiring replacement of the solenoid.

Usually damage caused by reversed polarity (if there is damage) is complete and the module no longer works at all.

Thread Information