Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris octane no power

so i have a 2003 polaris octane that i bought 2 years ago and still cannot use it, i bought it in pieces and i put it back together and it runs fantastic out of the water and has no power when its in the water like a js440, i have done alot of looking inspecting testing and replacing and i dont want to spend any more money on this thing i have done the following -new top end -new coil -cut the spark plug wires back -cleaned and checked the carbs -inspected the crank for out of phaze and what not and it was perfect, stator ohmed out to spec, fly wheel key is NOT scheared, no exhust leaks, no vapor lock, if i make the boat cavitate it will rev up but other than that it wont, the only other ideas i have are CDI, and wrong pitch inpeller...what you guys think? sick of working on it and just want to ride the damn thing

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Check Timing? Proper spark Plugs? Check Fuel Pressure?

+1
    I thought I read something on here about if the impeller is messed up or something is in the jet drive it can create turbulence and basically air bubbles will fill the jet drive instead of water?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the static flywheel timing using the 9 volt battery and ohm meter method.

I seem to recall the Octane used (or did not use) a 'high start' flywheel. Make sure you have the correct CDI (correct ignition advance curve) for the flywheel version you have installed.

Are both cylinders getting equally warm? Perhaps one carb/cylinder/reeds is not working.

You can strap it to your trailer and run it in the water at the launch ramp to do testing with the hull open.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    I thought I read something on here about if the impeller is messed up or something is in the jet drive it can create turbulence and basically air bubbles will fill the jet drive instead of water?
    Ventilation or cavitation will indeed reduce jet pump thrust but it will not reduce engine RPM. In fact the engine will rev higher if the jet pump is having troubles.

How do I check the timing with a 9v and an ohm meter?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer153 View Post
    See my signature links for domestic engine stator testing. Somewhere in there it outlines how to do the Hall Effect sensor test.

Static timing is the same test, except you need to install a degree wheel or tape markings on the PTO coupler and measure TDC to find 0 degrees on the MAG piston. Then rotate the crankshaft (actually you will be turning the PTO engine coupler) and find out what position causes the Hall Effect sensor to switch to low ohms for each cylinder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer153 View Post
    you need to check the timing with a timing light but you also need to know what cdi you have and what curve is in it first

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Ventilation or cavitation will indeed reduce jet pump thrust but it will not reduce engine RPM. In fact the engine will rev higher if the jet pump is having troubles.
    Whoops! Sorry...

i pulled the pump apart tonight it has a 15/23 impeller in it, so im going to say the CDI is no good any one else??????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information