Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Oil in engine 300x

Did my post ride inspection and found a fair amount of oil on, and around the intercooler. Both BOV,s are very oily, and I can feel oil when I sick my finger just inside the intercooler. Haven't taken it apart any further yet. I just changed my oil by the way, put in a little under 4.5 qts. Thoughts? Too much oil maybe? 11hrs on ski. It ran fine, only tops out at 68, but it's been doing that which was something I was in the process of looking into when I discovered the oil. Just noticed it, and the oil is clean.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spinaker View Post
    Did my post ride inspection and found a fair amount of oil on, and around the intercooler. Both BOV,s are very oily, and I can feel oil when I sick my finger just inside the intercooler. Haven't taken it apart any further yet. I just changed my oil by the way, put in a little under 4.5 qts. Thoughts? Too much oil maybe? 11hrs on ski.
    How much oil did you take out when you changed it? Was it reading high on the stick after you refilled it? You gotta clean the IC now...

You either overfilled it or this becomes part of the great catch can debate... Some also hold the opinion that you will get a lot of oil in the IC when the engine is young and that this will slow after break in is complete.

+1
    You needed to measure the oil that you took out and put back the same amount.
    Sounds like you over filled it.

+1
    Did my post ride inspection and found a fair amount of oil on, and around the intercooler. Both BOV,s are very oily, and I can feel oil when I sick my finger just inside the intercooler. Haven't taken it apart any further yet. I just changed my oil by the way, put in a little under 4.5 qts. Thoughts? Too much oil maybe? 11hrs on ski. It ran fine, only tops out at 68, but it's been doing that which was something I was in the process of looking into when I discovered the oil. Just noticed it, and the oil is clean.
    A little under 4.5 quarts? How can that be? The specifications say 5.8 us qts,I put a little under 5.5 qts in mine and when cold it shows dead on the last mark on the cool side.Did i over fill mine with 5.5 qts cause for some reason i lost 100-150 rpms after i changed my oil and the rpm`s have never came back,I took my intercooler off and its clean as can be.I dont see how you put under 4.5 qts and i put 5.5 qts in mine and yours both are at the full mark.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    A little under 4.5 quarts? How can that be? The specifications say 5.8 us qts,I put a little under 5.5 qts in mine and when cold it shows dead on the last mark on the cool side.Did i over fill mine with 5.5 qts cause for some reason i lost 100-150 rpms after i changed my oil and the rpm`s have never came back,I took my intercooler off and its clean as can be.I dont see how you put under 4.5 qts and i put 5.5 qts in mine and yours both are at the full mark.
    The specs for 5.8 US quarts are for an engine that is completely dry (as in the case of a rebuild). 4.8 US qt. for oil change.

How it can be overfilled with 4.5 quarts depends simply on how full it was before he drained it and how much he actually sucked out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    How much oil did you take out when you changed it? Was it reading high on the stick after you refilled it? You gotta clean the IC now...

You either overfilled it or this becomes part of the great catch can debate... Some also hold the opinion that you will get a lot of oil in the IC when the engine is young and that this will slow after break in is complete.
    Didn't measure it, never have on any of my previous skis, I will next time though. I drained it pretty good though, and it was dead on the mark on the dip stick.I guess I need to take a look at the IC now? If some oil is normal, I guess my question is how much is to much? What's the best way to clean it if I decide to do that? Anything else I should look for while I've got it apart? Could this be keeping my top speed down? Thanks for the tips!

+1
    Didn't measure it, never have on any of my previous skis, I will next time though. I drained it pretty good though, and it was dead on the mark on the dip stick.I guess I need to take a look at the IC now? If some oil is normal, I guess my question is how much is to much? What's the best way to clean it if I decide to do that? Anything else I should look for while I've got it apart? Could this be keeping my top speed down? Thanks for the tips!
    Good practice to monitor how much you take out. As far as how much is too much... different opinions on that. The IC cleans pretty easily with gas. This could certainly affect performance negatively. Nothing in particular to check, but a good time to have a look the general condition of everything with the extra room the disassembly will afford.

There are some threads on here about IC cleaning...

+1
    Just read some threads on this issue: people seem to be split as to whether this is normal or not. Guess it can't hurt to pull it and clean it? As far as to speed goes, the SCOM never did anything for my to end, even had Riva test it.I can hit 8000 RPMs once in a while, but that's the only performance gain I saw. Thoughts on this this issue?

+1
    Just read some threads on this issue: people seem to be split as to whether this is normal or not. Guess it can't hurt to pull it and clean it? As far as to speed goes, the SCOM never did anything for my to end, even had Riva test it.I can hit 8000 RPMs once in a while, but that's the only performance gain I saw. Thoughts on this this issue?
    Right, can't hurt to clean it. If the Scom didn't help you on top end... that's a problem (with the Scom I would think).

Banned User
    +1
    Ummm if your hitting 8000 rpm the scom is doing its job. Check your prop. Are u checking speeds on gps or dash.?
    As for your intercooler. Your gonna burn and have more blow by in the first 20 hrs of operation. It's good practice to clean it @ about 20 hrs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information