Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to lift/jack up '04 RXP off of trailer, suggestions?

Hey guys,
    I discovered some damage to the gel-coat on the bottom side of my ski a few days ago. The problem is that one of the trailer bunks are hiding the rest of the damage, so I need to lift the ski up to check the extent of it. My neighbor has a big A-frame that I could put the ski under to use as a lift, just not sure the best way to lift it. Will the nose hook up front and the two tiedowns in the back hold the weight safely? Any other ideas? Thanks.

+1
    the ski will roll to one side or the other because your only using one left point in the front...

How far up the hull is the damage?? Near the back of the bunk??

It's about 12" forward of the ride plate on the starboard side. Right where the trailer bunk makes contact with the hull. I'll upload some pics.

I only need the ski raised up about 6" or so to get a good luck at how far the damage goes.

+1
    Buy the slings from the online store, expensive for one use but handy to have.

+1
    I have jacked it up with a board on the ride plate and the front resting on the bow stop, but not sure how far forward the damage is, if the bunk will still be in the way or not.

Banned User
    +1
    the bush mechanic method:
    Jack up the side of the hull using a car scissor jack, use planks to support the hull (And avoid further damage), then use long bits of timber (With a wide face) to hold the hull either from the side rail (Not applicable to all models) or onto the gunner rails down to the trailer hard points, do so about 1/3 back from the front of the ski and then jack also the rear (same side) using this method.. Keep bow hooked on while doing so.

If you use this method, make sure you put a thick piece of wood just above the trailer skids so if something falls or your ski slips, your fingers won't get crushed.

Other methods I've heard of:
    chock the wheels,
    jack up the ride plate using jack and wide piece of timber. Place wood under rails and let the jack down slowly.

or
    Sling it off a crane.

or get a ski dolly and wheel it on to that, just far enough so you can work on it...

Just weigh up the risks before doing any risky things, also you can damage the hull if you jack without using a wide enough piece of wood.

Thanks guys, I'll try the jack/wood method, that should give me enough room to check the rest of the damage. Thanks again!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    don't screw around.

buy a sling..the are well worth the investment and you'll find them useful for lots of other things.

Like lifting a test tank off a trailer..... or lifting your ski off the trailer to put it on a cart so you do something else with your trailer.

anything less and you put yourself at substantial risk of personal or property injury

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanked1.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	279538

I did replace the nylon webbing with chain after this lift..I went over the strap rating and damaged the nylon web straps..was planning on doing that anyway as I am not very trusting of anthing but steel when it comes to lifting a 600 pound ski off a trailer, swinging it thru the air and then down into water.

For a simple lift off a trailer, the nylon webs should be just dandy.

An inexpensive engine cherry picker ( maybe $150-200) completes the ensemble.

Nothing wakes you up like almost losing a finger or toe trying to save a few bucks on moving something heavy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information