Lightbulb polaris power trim....put on a yamaha gp760...

yup....im guilty....years ago i had a 96 polaris slx780 with power trim...recently i bought a 97 yamaha gp760 that only had manual trim....i dont care for the manual trim at all...yamaha dropped the ball on that one in my opinion...anyhow,i picked up a 93 polaris sl700 trim motor,trim indicator cable and handlebar switch that only has the up/down trim lever and a red kill button....after a couple days fabricating a mount for the motor and redesigning the actuating arm...it works flawlessly and is very very fast...the motor is the slower 3 rpm one but with doing a couple things differently it can be made to operate fast...first thing was to mount motor on the fabricated mounting bracket in such a way that only half of its travel length is used and not a full left to right rotation....secondly,i fabricated a long actuator lever somewhat in the shape of a boomerang...end result is less length to travel and the long arm makes it very fast...you dont press this thing...you just barely bump it and the attitude of the boat is instant....the trim indicator on the 93 polaris is the cable kind with that plastic indicator...it was made to mount onto a flat surface...with no flat surface on the yamaha i had to fabricate a mount for that as well...i want to get rid of the simple up/down and kill button handlebar switch and put one on that has the up/down,kill button,start button and the blue button which i think is for the bildge....can anybody verify that on the blue button?? also,can anybody tell me what color wires control each function...would love to just have one handlebar setup to control everything....as for the blue bildge button,i already have an automatic rule 500 installed....i could use the blue button as an accessory such as a horn....had alot of fun making this mod and it is fast....any help would be great...thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any concern regarding the longer lever arm causing a greater torque 'load' and stressing the Polaris trim internal gearbox?

Later generation Polaris trim motors have a slip clutch that prevents the motor from overloading.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Any concern regarding the longer lever arm causing a greater torque 'load' and stressing the Polaris trim internal gearbox?

Later generation Polaris trim motors have a slip clutch that prevents the motor from overloading.
    this older 93 motor has what you are speaking of...a slip clutch...and i also had to incorporate 2 stops on the mount so the travel limit would be in place...even though...i stop trimming right before i get to the full up or down position...

i got lucky on the motor...for a 93 model...still had the factory locktite on the cover screws...never been into or waterlogged....clean as a clean can be...

Thread Information