Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concerns after 3 years of non-use?

Greetings everyone.

My 2004 RXP has been sitting for almost 3 years now.
    I just moved to Florida and cannot wait to get it back into the water.
    The ski ran great and always started prior to me storing it.
    I did unscrew the gas cap before leaving it. Un-heated storage in NE.

Any suggestions on what I can do in order to get it ready to ride?

Thanks!

+1
    You'll want to change the oil and swap out ALL of the fuel, for sure!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Welcome to the forum Where in Fla are u moving to?

I would pull the head, and change the 04'valves to newer ones if possible, they were prone to breaking off, after getting rust on them, and destroying the motor and heads in 04-05. They were also made of a weaker material back then as well. You could get a better look at the cylinder condition if u had access to a borescope.
    At the very least, I would pull the ex manifold, and Intake to actually look at the valve condition, before trying to run it again. The moisture from the waterbox rusts exhaust valves that sit for long periods of time.

Also the usual...New battery, and spark plugs

5. +1 by:

I appreciate the advice capn & psycho.

First will pump out any gas left over in the tank.
    And a neighbor of mine is a car-tuner-mechanic, so tonight need to ask about borescope.

I live in south Tampa currently. Had a vacation to east St. Pete a couple years ago was awesome.
    The water was too cold for the tourists and I was the only one out in the gulf hopping the waves.

I want to do this right. My baby has done me well in the past and needs to be prepared for the future!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I appreciate the advice capn & psycho.

First will pump out any gas left over in the tank.
    And a neighbor of mine is a car-tuner-mechanic, so tonight need to ask about borescope.

I live in south Tampa currently. Had a vacation to east St. Pete a couple years ago was awesome.
    The water was too cold for the tourists and I was the only one out in the gulf hopping the waves.

I want to do this right. My baby has done me well in the past and needs to be prepared for the future!
    Welcome to Greenhulk and this is def the attitude you need to have here!

+1
    Bishop,
    I wanted to chime in here. I recently bought an 06 RXP. This Ski was "properly winterized by the dealer" and left to sit for about 2 years. On my first dip into the water, she ate a valve and the motor seized. After doing the research here, I have discovered there is a serious issue with the exhaust valves rusting up, especially on the number 1. I would pull the exhaust valves proactively and replace them with stainless. It may be a pain, but they are a time bomb.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerinco View Post
    Bishop,
    I wanted to chime in here. I recently bought an 06 RXP. This Ski was "properly winterized by the dealer" and left to sit for about 2 years. On my first dip into the water, she ate a valve and the motor seized. After doing the research here, I have discovered there is a serious issue with the exhaust valves rusting up, especially on the number 1. I would pull the exhaust valves proactively and replace them with stainless. It may be a pain, but they are a time bomb.
    +1 My point exactly.

Strange it happened on an 06' (which should have had the better valves), but if not properly winterized, or run weekly to lube things up, Bad things can happen. Letting them sit for long periods are the worst thing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    +1 My point exactly.

Strange it happened on an 06' (which should have had the better valves), but if not properly winterized, or run weekly to lube things up, Bad things can happen. Letting them sit for long periods are the worst thing for them.
    The early '06 skis had the old valves. It was a running production change in about March of '06.

+1
    Is there a "born on Date" on the ski? Humm maybe that's just for beer. Maybe I'll go have one and think about this some.

+1
    Well there are the "born on" dates stamped on the valves...Check the sticky thread.
    You might think, what a PITA removing the valve cover, etc. Let me tell you from first hand experience, its much cheaper than the 3500 that I am spending for the engine repair. Your ski will eat the valves, it will happen, its just a question of when....
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information