97 sltx no spark

Could someone please try to help me? I have a Polaris 97 1050sltx, I installed a new fully charged battery this year, backwards. As I was hooking it up wrong and made the final connection the bilge pump started, wondered what was goin on, so like a true dumb!!!! I touched the start button the motor turned over and sounded funny, that's when I realized I hooked the batt up wrong. Unhooked it hooked it up right this time, now it will turn over all day, but no spark. I am a contractor not a mechanic so I don't have ohm meters nor would I ever no how to use one however I've opened up the black box visually inspected all components no burnt wires,blown fuses or anything. There is no Polaris dealer close to me at all have taken it a few local places but nobody works on these anymore. What should I start replacing first ? any help would be awesome thank you.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Sorry to say, but you probably fried the CDI and/or the elec stator (magneto).

I did the exact same thing and ruined a completely new updated ignition system.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Sorry to say, but you probably fried the CDI and/or the elec stator (magneto).

I did the exact same thing and ruined a completely new updated ignition system.
    Thank you. So if you were me and u wanted this machine to run again which part would you replace first? a used coil is round 3hundy on eBay as is the elect box. Not sure if I should just open up the wallet and get it all, or buy slow and try part after part. Nobody local seems to know anything or seems willing to help. I thank you again for any help.

Banned User
    +1
    The coil is probably ok. I would guess you messed up the CDI. Do the ohm tests in the manual to check the stator. Thats where I would start. Especially with these parts getting harder to find, be extra extra careful of polarity when you connect the battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by John cummings View Post
    Thank you. So if you were me and u wanted this machine to run again which part would you replace first? a used coil is round 3hundy on eBay as is the elect box. Not sure if I should just open up the wallet and get it all, or buy slow and try part after part. Nobody local seems to know anything or seems willing to help. I thank you again for any help.
    Lately,the only sellers on e-bay are superrr high. Most of the ignition parts are no longer made,but when they were sold at the dealer-they were half the price.

There are real easy step by step instuctions in the tech section on here. And several people that can walk any one through the tests.

Get any meter,even a cheap one from Harbour freight-$20. It will be close enough to find an answer.

What is the part# on your CDI ? ( 3" X 4" box,inside the elect box ) If it is the "old style",that part might be cheap enough.

Cool thanks for the input guys. I will get a cheapo meter and Check out the tech section here. As far as part numbers go the ignition coil 4060153. Electronic box 4060137. Are these the updated units or original? I bought this ski used for 1200 bucks, 2 years ago ran like a champ until. So I'm not real sure what's been done to it if anything. Thanks again you guys I no time is very important, and I appreciate yours.

Banned User
    +1
    4060137 is original, not updated.

Thread Information