2004 STX15F questions

I just picked up two 15F with 27 hours on them. They have old gas (last summer) and I was hoping that adding new to it and running them would get rid of the bad gas. No such luck. They fired right up when I looked them over and seem to run well. Once I got them on the water they would reach 62 and 61 (speedo reading) and then miss and die. We ran them for a little while, maybe 30 to 45 minutes and then they didn't want to start again.
    I guess my question is, what's the best way to drain the tank? I know I need to replace the spark plugs as well, just trying to get the old gas out.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    get a siphon and stick it in the tank through the fill hole, or if you are adventurous you could remove the return line from the fuel rail and put it into a tank and crank the engine over, I can't really recommend that though.

Sean

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    get a siphon and stick it in the tank through the fill hole, or if you are adventurous you could remove the return line from the fuel rail and put it into a tank and crank the engine over, I can't really recommend that though.

Sean
    I heard you could overheat the starter if you crank the starter too long....

I got some water in mine and siphoned it out with a hose. Would it be safe to hot wire the fuel pump and empty it from the return hose like you said?

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Also forgot when I siphoned the fuel from mine I pulled the filler tube from the tank so I had a more direct shot and could see what was going on better.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Like I said, you could but I can't recommend it.

Sean

+1
    I get the gas out of mine at the end of the season by siphoning, use a CLEAR hose, it helps to get a few inches of copper tubing stuffed inside the end of the hose to act as a weight so it goes to the bottom of the tank.

I used a small 12 battery (used for my kayak fish finder)... and ran 2 small wires w/ aligator clips to the fuel pump connector (after unhooking the wire harness from it) Then removed the fuel feed hose at the fuel rail. Very easy.

Thread Information