05 VX110 low voltage alarm

I have two identical VXs that are in great shape with low hours on them (less than 150). I have had the alarm go off for low voltage on one ski. I have been searching this forum and found help to diagnose the issue.
    I could not start one at the beginning of the season. I load tested the battery, which was no good and replaced it. The ski ran great for about 10 or 20 hours until the alarm went off and was reading low voltage./
    The ski starts and runs fine. The dash gauge shows 12.1V before turning it on. The voltage drops down to 11.4-11.6 volts when running. So, I shut it right down to save the battery. I load tested the battery, which is still good.
    I checked the ground connections on the battery and on the engine. No change.
    I checked the cable connections from the PCU to the regulator, which look as good as they did on day 1. No change.
    I swapped in the regulator from the other (good) running VX. No change.
    Where do I go next? The stator on the engine? Do I need special tools to get that?
    Thanks, in advance, for your help.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ilawns View Post
    I have two identical VXs that are in great shape with low hours on them (less than 150). I have had the alarm go off for low voltage on one ski. I have been searching this forum and found help to diagnose the issue.
    I could not start one at the beginning of the season. I load tested the battery, which was no good and replaced it. The ski ran great for about 10 or 20 hours until the alarm went off and was reading low voltage./
    The ski starts and runs fine. The dash gauge shows 12.1V before turning it on. The voltage drops down to 11.4-11.6 volts when running. So, I shut it right down to save the battery. I load tested the battery, which is still good.
    I checked the ground connections on the battery and on the engine. No change.
    I checked the cable connections from the PCU to the regulator, which look as good as they did on day 1. No change.
    I swapped in the regulator from the other (good) running VX. No change.
    Where do I go next? The stator on the engine? Do I need special tools to get that?
    Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    You need to ohm out the charging coil.

3. +1 by:

Just checked the manual before getting under the seat... Found a pickup coil and lighting coil, but not the charging coil...
    Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but is the lighting coil the same as you called the charging coil?
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ilawns View Post
    Just checked the manual before getting under the seat... Found a pickup coil and lighting coil, but not the charging coil...
    Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but is the lighting coil the same as you called the charging coil?
    Thanks
    lighting coil is the same as the battery charging coil. Just to be double sure it's not the voltage regulator take the first one from the non charging ski and to be sure it is good put it on the ski that does charge, Also be sure the plug in connections are good and clean, a good charging system usualy will put out 13.5-14.5 volts @ 3000 rpms, Tommy Jordan

6. +1 by:

I swapped out the rectifier/regulators from both machines. There was no change to either machine.

I checked out the coils with an ohm meter. The lighting coil had continuity on all three wires. I assume that it's OK. I would expect that if one of the three coils was bad, two of the pairs would be open with no continuity. The pick-up coil had ~500 ohms.

If those readings are what I should expect, then I will have to pull it out if the water to check the voltage output of the lighting coil running at 3K?

The only other note was that the connector had a good soaking of WD40 in it from winterizing the ski. I plan to clean it up with electrical component spray and seal it with electrical connector silicone... Right approach to keep it clean?

Thanks

Thread Information