Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help, msx 140 will fire but won't start.

Hi i am new to the forum.i have a msx 140 that the owner before me let it get rain swamped.i pulled every thing off of it that i could and started cleaning and lubing i drained water out of the crankcase and felt very lucky that it wasn't frozen up. It has good compression,good fuel pressure, and great spark. I checked the red and white wires on the injectors and got 20+ volts while cranking.i sent my emm to dfi and got it fixed.it will fire but won't stay running, i can try to start it but then it floods out. I haven't put a new tps on it yet. Is there something else i am missing? Also thanks to all the posts on the forum i fixed the regulator on the fuel pump. On my first post i was in the wrong forum thanks for any help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug the TPS. Does it start and idle?

No! It does the same thing it trys to fire but it won't.then it seems to almost flood out.i can clean off the plugs and it will fire pretty good. Then it just goes away. Could the injectors be firing in the wrong order.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnseil View Post
    No! It does the same thing it trys to fire but it won't.then it seems to almost flood out.i can clean off the plugs and it will fire pretty good. Then it just goes away. Could the injectors be firing in the wrong order.
    Normally these engines never 'flood' with fuel.

Since this machine had standing water inside (how deep was the water?) it is possible there is water inside something that should be dry. Have you taken apart and inspected every electrical connector?

Did you remove the stator cover and inspect the flywheel?

CPS sensor ohms correct?

Are the injectors connected to the correct wire colors?

Ignition coil primary wire colors correct?

Make a simple LED code reading tool and see if the EMM has current trouble codes.

First i want to thank you k for the help.i made a led code reading tool that's why i sent the emm to dfi. The coil and injectors should be right. I haven't checked the cps or the flywheel i'll try to work on that tomorrow after work.the spark has always been real good i didn't think the stator could be the problem. Before i sent the emm off to dfi it would start and run a little bit. But the bad emm might have been masking other problems thanks again for your time.

I changed the plugs in mine last year. The guy at the parts store crossed ref. them. My pwc would fire and start then act like it was flooded and die. I put the old plugs right back in and it ran good. I have read that you want to use exactly the ngk plug it calls for or it may not run or run right. Not sure if this helps but something to look at.

+1
    NGK PZFR6H spark plugs on all Ficht fuel injected engines. No substitutes.

AFTER POLARIS FREAK SAID HE HAD TROUBLE WITH PLUGS I WENT BACK AND LOOKED AT MINE THEY WERE RIGHT BUT THEY WERE NOT GAS FLOODED THEY WERE OIL FOULED SORRY ABOUT THE MISINFORMATION.I RE-CHECKED THE FUEL PRESSURE 22# CHECKED THE VOLTAGE ON THE INJECTORS 24v WHILE CRANKING. I HATE USING STARTING FLUID BECAUSE IT CAN BE SO HARD ON ENGINES IF YOU GET TO MUCH.I SPRAYED A LITTLE IN THE THROATS AND IT SEEMED TO FIRE ALOT BETTER. IT COULD BE THE INJECTORS HOW CAN I TAKE THEM APART AND TEST THEM. THANKS

+1
    Ficht Fuel Injectors are not a serviceable item. At least not like automotive fuel injectors.

Ficht injectors are different. See my signature links for info on how they work and what can be cleaned. Do NOT swap injectors or tips between cylinders.

The chances of all three Ficht injectors failing or clogging seems low, unless the fuel is contaminated and dirt got past the fuel filter in the tank.

I pulled the pto injector and head, took the injector tip off,took the screen off and checked the tip to see if it was working it seemed to be.forced the fuel pump on with the injector out of the head the fuel pulsed out around the tip took the tip off and put my finger over the hole,i could feel the injector pulsing put the injector back on the head and turned the engine over fuel was not coming out of the injector. I checked the cps had 148 ohms.i have not checked the flywheel i will do that tomorrow what am i missing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information