Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Tips on how to get a good holeshot

Anybody have any tips on how to get a good holeshot? I have quite a bit of cavitation if I just try to mash the throttle, so I have to feather it out of the hole. Where's the best place to put my weight (I try to get it right over the pump)? I also seem to remember reading or hearing something about bouncing as if trying to bunny hop, but haven't tried it. Aside from a tach and maybe repitching, I'm pretty much done with modding for a while, so a TBM cone is out for now.

+1
    What ski are you having these issues with?

+1
    The FZR. I had almost eliminated the cavitation until I added boost and the R3.

+1
    You mean through technique or mods?

+1
    I'd love to hear the answers as it relates to techniques. My theory is trim the bow up a notch cause the intake grate needs to stay dug in the water until you get up on plane and then go to neutral. Personally I've tried everything and just staying on neutral with my weight forward seems to be best but I"m not sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    My theory is trim the bow up a notch cause the intake grate needs to stay dug in the water until you get up on plane and then go to neutral. Personally I've tried everything and just staying on neutral with my weight forward seems to be best but I"m not sure.
    I think your theory is the opposite of just about everyone elses theory on this

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    I think your theory is the opposite of just about everyone elses theory on this
    I don't know shit about drag racing. Like I said I'd love to hear what real racers have to say are the best techniques. Modification discussion can go on forever.

There is a group of guys that race in our area I've been meaning to catch up with. Mostly P.R. guys that have these damn skis go 90+. They drag for big dollars and you can be certain they know every nuance of technique to win. They are even faster than the guys at the Hydros. Be neat to hear from real competitive people how it is done if they don't mind sharing.

Jim of Jim's Performance supposedly has the fastest of them all in the quarter mile but sacrifices top end speed for drag racing. He GPS'd my ski and I have not been able to obtain that speed yet and it can only be attributable to his technique.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    I don't know shit about drag racing. Like I said I'd love to hear what real racers have to say are the best techniques. Modification discussion can go on forever.
    I have alway started with trim down (nose of ski should lift less) and all my weight forward over the nose as much as possible than start clicking up once on plain....

note I am not a "real racer" but have been riding for 23 years.

+1
    I tried that and I cavitate too much. I think the ski starves for water at the intake with bow down weight forward. Dunno.

+1
    On the RXPs, I would trim two from bottom and put weight on the bars to keep it from jumping out of the water. Hit the throttle and the second it went on plane I would trim up to the peak top speed trim position (two above neutral on mine) and shift my weight back to the back of the ski into a crouch that looks like Duke's avatar.

On my VXS with no trim, I do the same thing. Weight on the bars to keep the pump hooked up and the second it hits plane, all the weight to the back to a crouch position with my head low. If its flat enough, superman. If its choppy, I got into that jockey position and use technique to keep the pump hooked up. If it smooths out, crouch, chop, jockey. Whatever the water calls for to get the maximum speed basically.

Check out some of the hydrodrag youtube videos. Check out Stan on his RXP. That dude had better drag technique that anyone I've ever ridden with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information