Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SL650 temp sensor..is it necessary?

Does anyone see any value in replacing a broken temp sensor on a 92 sl650? Mine's been broken for awhile now (wires broke out the back of the sensor) but it doesn't seem to run any differently with it broken....just wondering if I should even be concerned at all or just leave it as is. My other ski has the same sensor only it works but the ski doesn't seem to run any differently one way or the other. Hmmmm just pondering it a bit...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The temp sender only activates when the engine gets too hot. Under normal conditions the sensor does not affect engine operation.

Without the overheat sensor, you won't know about an overheating engine until something cooks/fails under the seat.

+1
    That model and year, it won't run differently. But, I'll say that mine came in handy the other day. I install ball valves in all of my skis in case something happens and they need to be towed. Friday, I was running one on the hose, so I had the intake valve shut off. When I was done, I forgot to open it. I hit the lake and my MFD started flashing that it was overheating. The moral of this little story, is that unless I had that sensor, I would have toasted a motor.

So...you need to have a way to tell if your water is (not) flowing. I've taken a few motors apart that have been filled with sand which would have caused high temps in the motors. The bottom line is that you have to maintain some method of ensuring that your motor is cooling. It's either the sensor or installing pissers. Unless you plan on installing pissers, I say replace the sensor.

and there you have my $0.02

+1
    Damn! That K447 dude ALWAYS beats me to it!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Superd2K View Post
    ... I've taken a few motors apart that have been filled with sand ...
    Domestic or Fuji engines?

I am curious whether the domestic engines have better internal water flow and tend not to clog with sand. I know the early year Fuji water cooled crankcases could hold sand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

I am curious whether the domestic engines have better internal water flow and tend not to clog with sand. I know the early year Fuji water cooled crankcases could hold sand.
    Fuji. 93 750's. I think they eventually figured it out, because they got rid of one of the intake ports on the later year motors.

Okay, thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm going to get my hands on a sensor then....since my motor is fairly new it sounds like good cheap insurance to me

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

I bet they do. I think we would have plugged ours up a few times at the gathering if they didn't flow well.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I bet they do. I think we would have plugged ours up a few times at the gathering if they didn't flow well.....
    I intend to inspect the exhaust water injection mesh screen and orifice on both those machines before we use them again.

Pumping bulk quantities of fine silt and mud through the cooling system - I wonder how much mud is sitting inside the water boxes?

BlueFishCrisis it's this sensor I need with the broken wires hanging out Not sre if it crosses with the sl750's and such though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0806122107.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	279730

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information