Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200r only revving to 5000 at sea

I have a GP1200r which only revs to 5000 when at sea. It revs to 7000 on trailer. It seems to work fine when idling.. any body had similar problems?? ... from where shall i start?? The spark plugs are new and all working. Please help !! thanks you!

Banned User
    +1
    How's the compression? May be the start of a lean seize? Does it ever shut off when it gets hot?

Compression was fine. When at sea i removed the plug leads one at a time. Starting from the last plug (closest to battery) there was no changed noticed. When the middle one was removed, the engine reved to less than 5000 and when the front was removed the engine started knocking. I guess this locates the problem in the last cylinder? Could it be fuel or high tension cable problem?

Banned User
    +1
    Does the throttle lever have any play? Adjust cable per service manual. Check to make sure cable is working properly and not binding up anywhere. That would be a good start. Any codes popping up or have you checked the dash for error codes.

Will check the cable later on today. What do you mean with error codes?

Banned User
    +1
    Hold down the reset button for 8 seconds and read what number appears

Shall I hold the reset button for 8 sec while engine is running? are you sure the gp1200r millennium editions give a code error and how do i interpret the error once obtained.

Quote Originally Posted by krl View Post
    Shall I hold the reset button for 8 sec while engine is running? are you sure the gp1200r millennium editions give a code error and how do i interpret the error once obtained.
    Yes, hold it down for 8 seconds with engine running. I don't know if yours has error codes but nothing will happen if it doen't perform the diagnostic. If it displays 01 then all systems are normal. Unplug 2 of the 3 plug wires with it on the trailer and see if you can isolate if one cylinder is causing the issue. It should idle on one cylinder alone. Make sure the other 2 are out of harms way. This may help you pin point a specific cylinder if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post
    Yes, hold it down for 8 seconds with engine running. I don't know if yours has error codes but nothing will happen if it doen't perform the diagnostic. If it displays 01 then all systems are normal. Unplug 2 of the 3 plug wires with it on the trailer and see if you can isolate if one cylinder is causing the issue. It should idle on one cylinder alone. Make sure the other 2 are out of harms way. This may help you pin point a specific cylinder if that is the case.

Nothing happens when i keep the reset button down for 8 sec. What do you mean harms way? So what you are saying I remove 2 plug wires at the same time(engine running on one plug) and the one with which the engine does not idle is the one with a problem?

What i did while in the water: with 3 plug in the jetski revved the engine which reached a max of 5000 than i took off one plug at a time and revved the engine. Only when the last cylinder was unplugged the max revs remained the same while with the other unplug the max rev decreased. I assume the cylinder which had no effect on the maximum rev is the one with the problem. Am i correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krl View Post
    Nothing happens when i keep the reset button down for 8 sec. What do you mean harms way? So what you are saying I remove 2 plug wires at the same time(engine running on one plug) and the one with which the engine does not idle is the one with a problem?

What i did while in the water: with 3 plug in the jetski revved the engine which reached a max of 5000 than i took off one plug at a time and revved the engine. Only when the last cylinder was unplugged the max revs remained the same while with the other unplug the max rev decreased. I assume the cylinder which had no effect on the maximum rev is the one with the problem. Am i correct?

Thanks
    Yep. Yours must not have the diagnostics. My diagnostics did not help me anyways and I have it. By harms way I meant not giving it nothing to arc to like a arm, hand or gasoline . Yes, I would just run it on one cylinder to confirm it is the cylinder you are thinking it is. It should idle on one plug / cylinder on the trailer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information