96 xp fixing for a friend just need advice

So this is a friends ski that I'm trying to fix up for them I clean the cards last year little dirty a big deal filter wasn't that bad considering the age.

The issue that they are having is at idol and off Idol loading up I'm guessing this is the pop off pressure I did not check it last year probably should have didn't have a gauge at the time
    so assuming it's a pop off pressure issue I just need to know what parts I need before I get up there soand the issue is I have to go to the cottage to fix it the dealer is about 20 minute drive plus boat ride and it's too much of a pain to go back and forth.

I just want to order the parts now for what's needed not worry about anything else.

What spring should I get? And if there is anything else I should order? Fixing it augs 13 so I have time.
    He also asked to change pump oil as well, have done one yet doesn't look hard what do I need for that?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    did you change out the needle and seats? check the pop off too.

+1
    Download the free Seadoo manual. Everything is covered fairly well. On the Mikuni site, there is decent instructions for going thru the carbs. I can only assume you changed the grey fuel lines and thoroughly cleaned out the fuel selector valve and inline strainer. Better to replace valve since these smaller ones are cheap. For a ski this age, I would replace the complete diaphragms and needle/seats. On most running skis, the carbs look fine for the most part inside. Its the little nook and crannies where varnish will build up. The little clear round disks that are fuel pump valves may look fine, but prone to cracking around the outer diameter of carb stack and wont work worth a crap. The large black round metering diaphragm needs to be baby butt soft. Not stiff and crackly. The small removable jets need to be flushed out with carb spray or lacquer thinner. Run a small wire thru making sure no residue that you wont be able to see is not restricting flow. Just a single layer of dried fuel film will wreak havoc on a motor. When a ski sits more than ridden every year, dried out fuel film will coat everything inside of the fuel system.

So just took it out, bogs off idle and will stall if I don't touch the throttle. Give it gas it bogs give it full throttle seems to finally clear out and take off, this was on the second test. First test it didn't want to get on plane started fine after its going no rpm gauge ran fine, it's all in the low end. Going to test pop off and fuel pump if it holds pressure not sure how to test if the needle and seat is bad or not seating. Guessing low pop off pressure?

Ok so fuel pump diaphragm is good, pop off on each carb was at 32-34psi which is in the middle.

What else can I test? I'm all up for replacing stuff but I have to boat 10mins to the car then drive 25mins to the deal, and I'm sure they don't have it in stock.

Thread Information