Thread: Wake Pro lemmon

Wake Pro lemmon

So, I have a 07 Wake Pro I bought brand new in 2010. It was a left over model and had 0 hrs on it, never even been in the water. It came with a extended 2 yr warranty. I had all maintenance for summer and winter done @ the dealership I bought it from. End of last summer (2011) the speedometer went out. I had the instrument cluster replaced beginning of this summer and had the pre season service done. The Sea-Doo lives in my garage hooked up battery tender.

I finally got to take out the Sea-Doo for the 1st time this year last weekend on a camping trip. It ran ok for about 45 min, and then it just stopped. It would not turn over again. Lucky for me my bro-in-law had his boat out there and towed me in. As soon as I got back home I called the dealership and they picked it up. They called me on Fri saying the timing belt had snapped, tearing up the valves and the super charger had seized up. Damn thing only has 15 hrs on it!!!! Lucky for me Sea Doo will cover it under warranty, but it will take 5-7 day for the parts to arrive and another 2 weeks to do the work since they are rebuilding the whole top end of the engine.

Is this the quality of Sea Doo? I love it, but two major failures in 2 yrs? After the rebuild I will be out of warranty. I am selling it as soon as it is fixed and plan on buying another PWC, but doubt it will be a Sea Doo. Sucks cause I like the features Sea Doo offers like, iBR and iBC.

+1
    Low hour ski's with long stints of time between usage are the most prone to rusting of the exhaust valve stems, that will snap the timing belt if rust was built up enought to seize valve stem in the guide.
    I have been lucky with my 2004 RXP (only 50-hrs in 8-years) because I have not been fogging the engine for storage (per Owners manual) but I have been starting motor every 2 to 3-weeks (even in the winter).
    My ski has been outside for 8-years but I do tilt it up and run the engine to clear the water box as much as possible in order to avoid having to put RV antifreeze in box.
    Glad BRP stepped up for you with the warranty in this case.

+1
    Did you have the ceramic supercharger washers replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Did you have the ceramic supercharger washers replaced?
    No they were not. Would that have anything to do with the timing chain breaking? Sorry for the dumb question, not that educated on engines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman 21 View Post
    No they were not. Would that have anything to do with the timing chain breaking? Sorry for the dumb question, not that educated on engines.
    Its all cool. We all started some where. Ceramic washers were what got me here 5 years ago.
    To answer your question, YES. The washers failing could have been the cause of everything. IMO they are the root of all your problems.
    When my 06 RXT lost its washers the dealer did not clean the motor out properly and 5 min into the next ride.....you guessed it the timing chain broke.
    Sorry for all your misfortune. Hopefully your dealer will repair everything correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Its all cool. We all started some where. Ceramic washers were what got me here 5 years ago.
    To answer your question, YES. The washers failing could have been the cause of everything. IMO they are the root of all your problems.
    When my 06 RXT lost its washers the dealer did not clean the motor out properly and 5 min into the next ride.....you guessed it the timing chain broke.
    Sorry for all your misfortune. Hopefully your dealer will repair everything correctly.
    So did you keep that Sea Doo or dump it? That is my dilemma now after its fixed.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I would request that BRP replace the engine vs having the dealer try to piece it back together. If they drop in a new long block, and an up to date charger.... there would be no reason to dump it. However..... if the "average" dealer rebuilds what you have, I would unload it well before the warranty runs out so it appears somewhat desirable to an interested buyer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman 21 View Post
    So did you keep that Sea Doo or dump it? That is my dilemma now after its fixed.
    I keeped it for a awhile. The dealer ended up putting a long block in it and it ran fine after that.
    I would do like BigDaddy says and see if they will just go a head and put a long block in it.

Thread Information