99 ZXi1100 Stalling Issue, need help

Hello,

Recently i got my self my first jetski, and it is a 99 zxi1100. I took it out about 4 times and it ran great. The last time when i took it out i let my girlfriend ride it and she rode it at like 10mph for an hour since she was scared to open the throttle. Well after a while it stalled. After that it had a hard time starting, and the only way it would start is if you pull the choke all the way out and hold it out. As soon as you put the choke back in and/or pull the throttle it stalls and shuts off. The way I got it back to the shore was to keep the choke pulled out and slowly got it back. When I try to put the choke back the RPMS try to go up and than it stalls and shuts off.

What could be the problem? Fuel Filter maybe? Sparks? Carbs clogged up? Not sure where to start or what to check. I'm also not sure how to clean for example carbs, can someone direct me what I should check/clean/change. The fuel filter is the paper type, i looked at it maybe it needs changing?

Thanks for your help!

+1
    Yep, sounds like it's not getting fuel. Try the fuel filter first. Go through the carbs if the filter doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yep, sounds like it's not getting fuel. Try the fuel filter first. Go through the carbs if the filter doesn't help.
    Steve thanks for the help. I purchased new filter and new spark plugs which I will replace tomorrow. As for going thru the carbs, what exactly do you mean by that. Do I take off the carburetor cover and spray something down/clean it out, or is there a different method on how to clean the carbs?

Thanks again!

Sounds very similar to what mine was doing and I had to take the carb out and clean it. I tried spraying carb cleaner after removing the cover, but no help. Tried running it with sea foam, but no help there either. eventually had to take carb out, but only after i tried new fuel filter and clean gas. Just my experience.

change you plugs before you do anything.... running a triple 2 stroke at idle or low speed can cause your plugs to foul (get coated in unburned oil, gas, and gunk)

+1
    You may need to replace the fuel pump (I don't think you can get parts to repair it). Run it on the hose with the flame arrestor off and see if the slides move when you blip the throttle. 'Going through the carbs' means overhauling them.

99 came with CV carbs. There is your problem. Those carbs were a bad design. Grab some cdk2's off of ebay for cheap. rebuild them. problem solved.

Thread Information