Newby looking for advice on seadoo (2000 GTX 951 DI)

i am very new to jetski's, this will be my first. Not looking for the fastest rocket but found a good deal on this craft. It has 200 hours. should i be concerned with that? The dealer is checking it out now and replacing a wear ringl that often has an issue. Any opinions on hours? Also, DFI.. not sure if this is good or not.

also found a 97 GTX carbed with 150 hours. Which would be better as a first ski? Please help, i know little about these.

I would probably check compresion on both engines and make sure one isnt on its death bed

+1
    200 hours is a lot for a 951 DI. You might get lucky but if that engine is original it is about to go. I know from personal experience and many other 951 engines. Anything over 150 hours between overhauls is bonus time.

+1
    If someone have serviced and stored one of these properly they will last nearly forever. But on the other hand, if something is amiss, it will be a grenade. Literally. And expensive fix. Front cylinder is prone to melt down when fuel issues or old gas happens.

I've worked on both and would definitly go for the 97 GTX as a first sled. They are both about the same speed (50mph or so) and the 97 GTX is a simple setup. It will burn more gas and will need the Tempo fuel lines replaced, if not already done, and the carbs cleaned, but is a reliable unit once that weakness is cured.

The GTX DI is a complicated unit with electric high pressure fuel injection, high pressure air injection, oil injection, air operated exhaust (RAVE) valves, and chronically weak voltage regulators (heavy electrical load). They eat batteries and require a trip to the dealer to read any of the fault codes they generate (or a CandooPro readout). 200 hours IS a lot. I've seen units with 175 hrs that are toast and ready for overhaul.

Good luck. Both are fun to ride. Make the seller perform a compression test while you're watching. Should be even +- 5psi and over 110 minimum. Less than that and it may run, but you'll be living on borrowed time.

If you can find a 97 GTI it would be even better; shorter stroke, single carb and no RAVE valves. Simple is good.
    Last edited by RickyGee; 08-07-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: correction

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo timebomb View Post
    If someone have serviced and stored one of these properly they will last nearly forever. But on the other hand, if something is amiss, it will be a grenade. Literally. And expensive fix. Front cylinder is prone to melt down when fuel issues or old gas happens.
    I have heard such things.....just never seen it and there is too much evidence on this very site to refute the lasts nearly forever statement.

Thread Information