Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question about fuel...

So, I'm new to PWC and have a few questions..... I have a '12 RXP 260....seems like it goes from 1/2 to empty in no time. I've read that the fuel gauge is a bit on the protective side, but how much fuel/time do you have once the low fuel alarm comes on?

Also is it a bad thing to strip a 1 or 2 gallon can inside of the front compartment incase you need it?

I finally got ONE!!! ;) RXT-260-DOO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindamost02 View Post
    So, I'm new to PWC and have a few questions..... I have a '12 RXP 260....seems like it goes from 1/2 to empty in no time. I've read that the fuel gauge is a bit on the protective side, but how much fuel/time do you have once the low fuel alarm comes on?

Also is it a bad thing to strip a 1 or 2 gallon can inside of the front compartment incase you need it?
    Went to Lake Powell last summer and the wife and I wanted to see Rainbow Bridge, the biggest natural arch in the world. We were at Bull Frog Marina and the canyon that the arch is in is not too far from Dangling Rope Marina. 55 mile trip one way. I figured we could make that real easy. Halfway to Dangling Rope I was at 4 bars, less than half a tank. At that point I started to worry, was I going to make it. Our original plan was to go see the arch first then go on to dangling rope to refill and head back to Bull Frog. We went straight to Dangling Rope, and was glad to make it. Fuel prices were almost $5 and I was waiting for the a big bill. Only used 9 of the 16 gallons and had the low fuel alarm going off. They are way conservative on their gauges. Here I thought I might have been stuck in the middle of Lake Powell, was thanking God that I had made it to the marina and in reality, I only used a little over half a tank, LOL....

+1
    never a bad thing to bring a can in the front compartment. JUST be CAREFUL..

the vapors can explode, but, to can needs to be tightly closed, AND you have to watch out as the vibrations/jumping will make the gas bubble, potentially tearing the gas can and making it leak everywhere.(try getting that smell out any time fast).

as far as the gauge. on my wake, it says 1/2 empty, yet i can only fill in 20L which is 1/3rd empty.

what i would try to do , is waste it down, to the point where you see 0 bars, and fill her up at the pump, you will get an idea of how much you managed to fit in, and how much was left.

dont forget that the gauge can "lie" because a ski on water might not be level, nose up or nose down because youre moving.

im going to give you a rough number for my ski, the tank being 60L, the alarm goes off when i have ~15L left, being a 1/4 of a tank, you can go somewhere far.

but i would never risk getting stuck anywhere without gas, especially in the middle of nowhere.

hope i helped.

+1
    My 12 seems to go from full to half very fast. I have had times when I showed 1 bar and still had 4 gallons left.

+1
    Chill, first - don't ever put gas in your front compartment. Murhpy's law will make you regret that... and that's just my opinion, not based on any experience w/doing that. Second - I've covered 13 miles after the first beep, in nasty weather/seas... I prob. could have made 15. That's an '06 RXT. Finally, if you're interested in doing something extensive, you can always put one of these together at home: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117108 Better yet, you can always drop by the house and we'll throw it on and see how well that old DIY build fits the new P. BTW, no screws, bolts or drilling in the hull. Attaches securely on/off in less than 2 minutes.

+1
    also, id like to add that, even though you can use only 1/2 a tank,and it will start beeping. but you will never know how much you have left as the gauge wont be showing anything.

+1
    Similar to Troy, I have driving it to zero bars before while pulling into my no wake zone, but when I filled up the next day, I only managed to put in 12.8 gallons which means I had 3.1 left in the tank.

+1
    Thanks for the reply fellas,

83...I left St. James Boat Launch on U.S. 61, road to the lake, down diversion, and back to the Boat Club. On the wait i had to pull a guy a little ways because of motor issues but my low fuel light went on.

My thing is i'd like to be able to go to the lake, play around, and make it back to the launch without worrying about fuel. Just wondering if a small gallon can in the front compartment would cause any problems.

+1
    You should be able to do the "Lake Maurepas Loop" on one tank from the SJBC. (I'd say go see that trail on my site; but it's currently down awaiting a large upload...) Anyway, a friend and I both did this and I didn't hit the buzzer till I saw the parking lot: Leave SJBC, go north in Blind R. all the way to the Sandbar. Leave Sandbar, go north to old Amite R. Travel entire length of Amite R. until you hit the weir at the west end of the big ditch. Go downstream in the Diversion and turn right (at Sarita's) into Petite Amite. Travel entire length of Pet. Amite back to Blind R., then Blind R. south all the way to SJBC. It's just under 70 miles. PS: Stay out of the boost and you can do it 5000 to 5300 RPM. It can be done...

+1
    Sorry, meant to say - you can certainly go to the lake and play and get back if that's all you do. And, I strongly suggest you not storing extra gas in the front compartment - it's just not a good idea. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think these current 4 strokes are meant to go about an hour at WOT before empty. So based on that assumption and at WOT: 20 minutes to the lake, 20 minutes to play, and 20 minutes back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information