Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry 2009 FXSHO DEAD Battery problem PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone,i know this is a novel but im looking for some major help here. Let me start off by saying im on my 3rd season with this ski about 20hrs per year and im on my 3rd battery. Every winter when winterizing my ski i take the battery out and keep it inside my house out of the cold on a battery tender. In the spring the battery is fine and I get a few weeks into the new season until i go to start it and the battery is completely stone cold dead. Well 2 weeks ago i came out on my floating dock and it was completely dead. After throwing it on the charger for about an hour it started and ran kinda rough but i idled it to the ramp so i was able to get it out of the water. After replacing the battery everything was perfect, back to normal as i thought.

This weekend i came down, and went out for about 5 hrs out on the water only taking like 2 breaks and everything ran fine, no issues at all, the next day went out about 10 miles away from home everything was going great, stopped at the sand bar to swim a little but and when going to leave the ski was stone cold dead. Enough to light the green light on the dash but not the traditional beep it gives. now unsure what to do, i didnt want to tow it and have the water backfill into the engine like ive heard on here without installing that shut off. With no other option i had someone tow me at 5mph about 200 yards to the nearest beach where i later had someone pick me up with my Jeep/Trailer.

After coming home i was so pissed that i left everything as is and went inside, after calming down a little i came back out to hose it down knowing that i could not flush it due to not being able to start. The next day i came out with high hopes and dreams and tride again, i watched the green light light up and watched the needle on the dash bounce a few times and then dead. Tried again and the dash blinked a few times and then the bildge kicked on and stated pumping out gallons of water non stop. By the time i got to the seat and opened it up i was everything was wet inside. Aparently when i came home pissed off the day prior i didnt look inside to see it was filled with water. It looks like the water came just above the battery. When looking i saw the back left drain plug screwed in cock eyed/off thread and not in completely. Im not sure if this is what caused it to take on water or was it from being towd at 5mph for about 200 yards. If it died on its own at the sandbar and i towed it, the bildge could not kick on due to my power failure. After it pumped all the water out it ran fine and i even took it for a 30 min spin with no problems.

Has anyone had any problem like this or any power failure? I checked my battery last week prior to all this and there is no drain on the battery when the ski is off. I feel like the ski is not charging itself as it goes and its relying on the battery for all its power. How often do all of you go through batteries?

please give me any feedback

thanks
    mike

+1
    You should get a gel battery or get an automatic charger that charges 1amp and keep it charging is to mantain to the battery.

+1
    I am only on the second battery on both my '09's. My FXSHO went 3 years and close to 80 hours before I had to replace it. I do not keep it hooked up the a battery tender. If I'm not going to be riding for a while, I'll hook it up for a couple days about once a month. I think leaving it hooked to a charger for months at a time shortens the life.
    As for the water, I doubt it was from that short tow. I've had mine towed several miles before without getting water in the engine or in the hull. It must be from your cross-threaded plug, and it filled up while you had it beached.

+1
    As far as the battery i replaced the oem battery for the first time this year. Last season it was getting weak where as the battery/voltage light was coming on when starting it.
    I opted for the diehard maintenance free battery.
    As far as your water in the hull problem, towing the ski will or can backfill the motor.
    Your issue is more likely from the crossthreaded drain plug. I have been told it can fill up fast.
    If your battery was covered with water your supercharger was probably under water too.
    I would pull the plugs and make sure you did not get water in your intake.

Have you taken any of the "Dead" batteries to Autozone to be tested? Are you sure they are really dead and that there isn't an intermittent problem elsewhere in the starting circuit? Loose or corroded cables (both ends not just at the battery). Stuck solenoid after sitting all winter?

+1
    20 hours a year, your ski is sitting a lot.
    I tell you, the worst thing you can do for these little batteries is not use them. If all three of those have been from the same manufacturer, I would definitely switch brands. The batteries in our skis will typically go for about 3 years before giving us trouble; but that's with weekly riding, we are riding all year long and I never charge them. But I tend to agree with mikevv; if you've been thru 3 of them you may have something else going on besides just the battery(ies).

just spoke to my dealer and gave them my story. They said the battery tender is frying the battery over the winter. Not really sure how because i have a 2006 VTX1300 on its original battery, a 2001 Yamaha Wolverine on its second battery and i keep them plugged in all winter along with my fathers Goldwing and our ride on lawn mower, kinda weird how the battery tender is ONLY frying the battery on the SHO. Any input?

As for losing power out in the middle of the water this weekend , i told them how my voltage is right on point and there no draw while ski is off. They are telling me its a bad connection and to clean the terminals and the wires. He was also trying to tell me that the wires are not rubber coated because it would create a bad conection. After me yelling that he didnt know what the F*** hes talking about he came back "i think i would know better than you". Kinda scary that these guys are the profesionals. In the meantime i guess ill clean off the connections on the terminals and the ends of the wire and see where it takes me. This guy better hope i do not get stuck in the middle of the Barnegat Bay this weekend for a 3rd time. Also bought a PERKO Battery Switch http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...s/product/150/ to install so i know for a fact that the battery is shut off with no draw while not using the machine.

Fingers crossed,Hoping for the best...thanks for the responses everyone

anyone with any other input let me know

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LPFDBadaBing View Post
    This guy better hope i do not get stuck in the middle of the Barnegat Bay this weekend for a 3rd time.
    So did you get a 4th battery?
    I wouldn't trust another trip to the same battery if it already failed you; I'm just sayin.

+1
    Pain, but unhook battery when not in use if you don't already as process of elimination. When you are running, what does your dash voltmeter say?

+1
    As has been said, check both ends of the cables for tightness.

I would look at voltage output when running--with a fully charged battery and after it runs for a little while. Might have to use your trailer or a lift to check while running partially in the water (could see it being a bit tough to do this while on the water...). See if you battery is being charged while in use. I would think you should see around 14 volts when running.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information