Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Polaris 1200 running on 2 cylinders

Hello all, I am trying to help my brother with his 1999 Genesys 1200. The PWC was working correctly the last time he used it (probably 20-30 days ago). It sits on a lift with a cover. The 2nd cylinder is not firing when it is running (at times, it does feel like it fires). Checking for spark, the #1 and #3 show spark, and #2 shows spark for one or two revolutions, but then it stops. This engine has the coil pack that has all three coils contained. What is the most likely problem? Bad coil? And if so, I have not been able to locate one. This should have the GenIII ignition according to things I have read, but I have not had a chance to really like at the watercraft. Any ideas? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can swap ignition coil pack primary and secondary wires to isolate whether the problem is in the coils, the CDI or the magneto stator.

This happened to ryanbgb22's SLX, and it was a pin in the connector to the stator that was badly corroded. It was hard to see inside the connector, especially with dielectric grease everywhere, but one pin just broke right off when I went to probe it.

Just be aware the connector can be at fault as well as the rest K447 mentioned.

OK, I opened the coil box, and switched the blue and green wires (didn't have a wiring diagram) and the #2 cylinder fired fine. So the coil and plug wires are good. The CDI states 4010171-02 (with Rev 2 in handwriting). How do I check the stator vs. the CDI unit? The connectors looked good and they were nicely coated with dielectric grease, but I should have looked for a broken pin. Can the CDI still be found, and how likely is it that the CDI is bad? Thanks again

+1
    Swap the Hall Effect sensors wires into the CDI for two cylinders and also swap the primary coil wires for the same two cylinders.

If the problem moves then the CDI is bad. If the problem does not move then the stator is bad.

I was able to do more troubleshooting tonight. I was able to check all of the stator wiring including checking the hall effect sensors. The stator appears to be good. I then swapped the blue/black and blue/green coil primaries and the blue and green CDI wires. The #2 cylinder that would not fire was now #3, indicating the CDI is bad. Does this seem likely? I read that the GenIII CDI was quite robust, and I thought the failure would not be just one cylinder not firing. Is there anything else I should look at? The pins in the connectors look good? Are the CDI's still available? Thanks again.

+1
    Just to confirm, the number 3 cylinder would actually run and get warm? Not just that you saw the number 3 plug sparking, but it actually ran the 3 cylinder properly - correct?

Correct. When the ski is run, the middle cylinder is not firing, but the ski actually runs OK and will make it up to around 35-40mph. At times, it feels like the 2nd cylinder will fire, but when I have checked it, we have no spark. The middle cylinder will fire if we swap the coil primaries.

Before I order a replacement CDI, is having only one cylinder not firing fairly common?

There was an old post on here about the power panel cover smashing the coil wires. I noticed that the three coil primary wires seemed flattened after removing the panel cover. Probably coincidence, but I think I should open it back up and move those wires around to see if #2 sparks. My brother is hosting a birthday party this weekend: any damage from running on 2 cylinders for now?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=47810&page=2

I found another post where someone was talking about the cover damaging the primary coil wires. I noticed this on my brother's power box as well. I went to his house tonight to see if we could straighten out the primary wires and move them around to see if we have spark. With all of the spark plug wires disconnected, we didn't seem to have spark. However, we started it up on the trailer with middle spark plug wire disconnected. Once it started, we had spark. I hot-glued a spacer so the wires would not be smashed by the cover, and he is going to bring it back up north to try in the lake. Might be coincidence that it seemed to be working? The troubleshooting still pointed to the CDI. If we need one (4010171), where can we find one? Ebay had one for $500: ouch!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information