Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris or not to Polaris!!! Please HELP

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but have already spent most of the Day on it.

I am new to PWC but have wanted one for many years. I am based in the UK but just want some good honest advice on what ski to buy for my limited funds.

I have been looking at Seadoo GTX but to be honest they are all slightly older for my budget and I have found the following for under £2000

2003 Polaris Freedom Jet-Ski In-line Polaris Marine 700 LE
    Here I have for sale a 2003 Polaris Freedom Jet-Ski In-line Polaris Marine 700 LE
    It benefits From The Following:-
    Easily Driven, In Great Condition, Trailer Is Also Included In The Sale.
    The Jet Ski is fresh water flushed after every use and has been Stored Indoors When Not In Use.The Jet Ski Also comes with essential kit including helmets, wetsuits and buoyancy aid's. A full list of equipment included is shown below:
    2x Helmets (1x Pink, 1x Black)
    Child Aqua Shoes - Size 24, Blue
    Child Aqua Shoes - Size 1, Pink
    Child Aqua Shoes - Size 33, Red/Black
    Adult Aqua Shoes - Size 38, Purple
    Adult Aqua Shoes - Size 40, Pink
    Adult Aqua Shoes - Size 43, Black
    2x Adult Shoes - Size None Specified, Black

Shorties Wetsuit - Size M/L, Black/Red
    Shorties Wetsuit - Size Childs, Black/Red
    Jobe Furious Jetski Pants - Size L, Black/Grey
    Jobe Furious Jetski Pants - Size S, Black/Grey

Buoyancy Aid - Size 2XL/3XL, Black/Red
    Buoyancy Aid - Size Universal, Youth Black/Yellow
    Watermelon Inflatable Towable

Kwik Tek A-2 Complete Grapnel Anchor
    Storm Wakeboard Tow Rope
    Master Lock Chain
    New Battery (Purchased April 2012)

All seems to be OK but I am a bit worried with the fact that Polaris dont make skis anymore. I know you can get parts and everything but is the above ski any good? if looked after are they reasonable reliable?

I am looking to use this with mates but also my daughters so want to make sure it is reasonably stable etc.
    what do you guys think?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

What types of water will you be riding? Lakes, rivers, ocean?

How many people on board? Size/weights?

Will you be riding alone?

Who will be doing the servicing and maintenance?

Thanks for replying.... happy I found this site
    Will be riding in the sea locallty and then maybe also looking at a local fresh lake that does a lot of watersports.
    I will be riding solo or with one other person. I am a medium size guy (14.5 stone) and my daughters are all petite. With regards to maintenance and servicing not too sure at the moment but I would like to learn as much as possible myself in order not only to save cost but to understand if there is an issue. I am quite ok with this sort of thing and am a quick learner with many tools.

I have been asking the guy about hours (he says there isnt a clock on this machine) but has sent me the following messages:

"I have part owned it for 2 years now but known the ski since 2007 . Its been used 5 or 6 times a year on the lakes. prop was serviced in 2010 for 2010 season. Since 2007 it has only been used in fresh water . Engine has always run sweet with not a single problem . Ski comes with a hose attachment so can be run out of the water but just for short times."

Thanks for your help... really appreciate it.

+1
    The primary safety issue with riding a single machine is what happens when there is a break down on the water?

I always ride with at least one other watercraft or boat in the group. That way I know I have a ride home, even if one machine sinks!

With a solo machine you are depending on strangers and happenstance to provide assistance should trouble arise. Or use radio to request assistance from rescue services or commercial tow operators.

And of course solo operation on big open water raises the stakes regarding maintenance. You have to check and maintain more aspects of the machine more often before venturing out. Time and effort.

That makes total sense. I was Thinking of joining a local club so that there were always other skis in the water (also more fun).

So about Polaris, would you consider the above ski? Are Polaris reliable etc. Just dont want to make a mistake with purchasing this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by neilf View Post
    That makes total sense. I was Thinking of joining a local club so that there were always other skis in the water (also more fun).

So about Polaris, would you consider the above ski? Are Polaris reliable etc. Just dont want to make a mistake with purchasing this.
    Reliability does not come from the brand, especially not for older watercraft.

On any manufacture/brand watercraft more than a few years old, reliability comes primarily from ongoing maintenance, machine service and use history, current state of wear, and so on.

Any watercraft more than a couple of years old is subject to potential issues. As the age increases the potential risk of unexpected failure rises.

The only counterweight to aging and diminished reliability is maintenance. A really well maintained older watercraft can provide excellent reliability.

When you buy any used watercraft, it is up to you to go through it from end to end. Inspect, remove, clean, update, replace, measure, tighten, check, verify and eyeball every subsystem, connection, clamp, hose, connector, wire, fitting, nut, bolt, etc.

Anything on the machine that you do not personally inspect and check cannot be considered reliable. It may or may not be good enough, and it may or may not cause trouble later on, but you will not know.

I often find issues in unexpected places on my own watercraft. A hose chafing in a hard to see location, rubbing electrical wires, loose cable adjustment, etc.

In general the Polaris brand watercraft are reasonably tough and the 2-stroke engines are reliable and fairly easy to maintain and repair.

The Freedom is a de-contented Virage. I prefer the Virage version with a full digital display, storage under the rear seat, Reverse, and a few other differences.

The two cylinder carburetor engines on both Freedom and Virage provide excellent fuel economy, as does the fuel injected two cylinder Virage i.

I have owned several fuel injected Virage, and currently ride a three cylinder 2002 Virage TXi. I like the power of the larger engine and fuel consumption is still reasonable. The Ficht fuel injection provides immediate and easy starting hot or cold.

For large open water the Polaris Genesis and MSX models provide a smoother ride and handle waves and rough water better than the Virage, although the Virage/Freedom hull is reasonable.

The primary reason older watercraft are less expensive to purchase is directly related to the reliability issue and the need for more maintenance balanced against the greater risk of something failing.

Polaris watercraft are often further discounted because Polaris stopped making watercraft after 2004. Parts are generally still available, but you can expect some parts to become harder to find as more years pass.

I suspect Polaris parts are less commonly available in the UK, but we do have some other UK members who ride Polaris. If you can connect with some of them they might provide further insight, and possibly even become riding buddies.

Mate you are an absolute star!!! thank you.

I m happy to go over this machine fully to check everything as to be honest I enjoy this sort of thing but just need to work out the 'workings' in order to work the problems. Is there anywhere on this site where various pictures of parts are etc so that I can work out what is what? If not I will go on the net but this site seems to have all the right things.

Cheers for your help

+1
    Have you looked through my signature links?

There is much info posted and many, many links to further info.

Google can be useful, of course. In fact, many of the results Google provides will come from here
    You can focus Google by searching for site:Greenhulk.net xyz where xyz is the thing you are looking for.

And Google can show you just image results, if you prefer visual results.

Once you understand what components are common across various models you will know what search terms will work well.

+1
    This site provides you with a full blow up and parts diagrams for every Polaris model: http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

Cheers guys will check them all out. Just put an offer in on the ski and the guy has accepted £1800 with all the gear so looks like a deal.

I better start learning!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information