Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 GP 1200 bad ignition coil?

Hello, I am a new member of the forum and a have recently picked up my first ski - 1998 GP 1200. My current issue is the ski won't go past 42mph (GPS) or 6000rpm (stock tach). After reading through many postings and doing a variety of troubleshooting, I have discovered there is no spark in the #3 cylinder. I noticed after checking the spark plugs (which I put new ones in at the beginning of the season) and this one has obviously not fired (looks brand new). Further tested it by moving the plug to another wire and saw spark when the plug was grounded. I suspected the plug wire, so I spliced open the sheathing close to the ignition coil, and tried to test for spark by wiring to the top of the plug. This didn't produce spark either, so I am suspecting the ignition coil (and have ordered one from ebay). Just want to make sure I'm on the right track - my only other guess is CDI.

Also, I got an aftermarket tach, wrapped it around plug wire #2 - I see about 1100 rpm during starting crank; when I wrap around wire #3, I see 400-600rpm (I would expect to see none if the coil was bad?).

Please let me know your thoughts! thanks

+1
    possibly weak spark or intermittant spark from a bad coil. That'll show low rpm on an aftermarket tach.
    Your diagnostic work sounds pretty solid. A coil isn't an very common failure but it is possible. Update us on whether its fixed or not.

Ok thanks. I am planning on replacing this weekend so I will let you know what happens. Has anyone done this before? I was looking at the parts diagram and service manual to try and figure out the easiest way to do this. Looks like I need to unbolt the metal bar on top (#21) to get the coil out, then open up the eletrical box by removing the cover (#36) and then I should be able to access the wires there? I just hope I can do this without removing the electrical box (or would that be easier)? I couldn't figure out how to unbolt the box from the chassis though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELECTRICAL_1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	279731

+1
    You should be able to do this job with the electrical box in place. The font of the box has a removable cover that can be taken off by removing the bolts around the perimeter of it. There is a lot of wires in there. Move any needed wires to get a clear shot of the coil. Most of the wires in the box have a round snapping connector somewhere in the line that can be separated if need be. Take care when putting the cover back on as not to damage any of the wires. I typically take off the round access cover for the fuse to inspect how the cover is going back on.

Good luck and be careful not to drop anything in the hull.

Not saying your wrong, but OEM ignition coils dont fail very often. I recently lost spark in my #1 cylinder and it turned out to be the pickup at the flywheel. After ohming the three pickups, I found one had an open. I opened the front cover and found that the wire broke loose right where its soldered to the pickup, easy fix. I suggest you open up your ebox and ohm out your pickups before you drop the coin on an ignition coil.

Quote Originally Posted by tshank123 View Post
    I opened the front cover and found that the wire broke loose right where its soldered to the pickup, easy fix. I suggest you open up your ebox and ohm out your pickups before you drop the coin on an ignition coil.
    Thanks guys. Tshank123 - I am a newbie, so help me out a bit here. When you say ohm the pickups, where in the ebox is the pickup?

Name:	Screenshot-2.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	279795

+1
    Follow the wires out of the front cover into the ebox. Then run the tests description in this pic from the service manual

Got it, thanks - will do.

So back to tshank123's comment, if I find a break/open, it might be all the way back to the pulser coil? Can I remove the flywheel cover without pulling the engine? Looks like I would need to inspect the #3's in the diagram?

Name:	GENERATOR.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	279808

+1
    Yes, the front cover will come off with the engine in the GP.

Ok, it was the coil. I got the part later than I wanted to - but after swapping it out, got spark on all three cylinders. Hit 52mph on the GPS (56 on the dream-o-meter) and alot more torque!

Thank you for everyone's help!

Now my next question is, did I do any damage running on only 2 cylinders (for about 10 hours)?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information