Overheat Warning

When I do wide-open runs my Overheat buzzer comes on, just started this year. Ran all last year with my mods just fine. So I checked all water flows, oil cooler,exhaust,motor and flow water fine. I took out thermostat no luck still does it. Installed Riva cooling kit still does it. I have come to the conclusion that one of the sensors is getting flaky. What is the best way of going about checking? I have service manual and specs. Could I just unhook one at a time and ride and see witch one is the issue?

+1
    Have you checked to see if the onboard diagnostic is throwing a code?

Could I just unhook one at a time and ride and see witch one is the issue?
    Probably not a good idea, since disconnecting some sensors will result in an immediate fault.
    If you trust your dealer's service department it's likely worth the labor charge to have them hook your ski to their YDIS and tell you which sensor is on the way out.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gashog301 View Post
    When I do wide-open runs my Overheat buzzer comes on, just started this year. Ran all last year with my mods just fine. So I checked all water flows, oil cooler,exhaust,motor and flow water fine. I took out thermostat no luck still does it. Installed Riva cooling kit still does it. I have come to the conclusion that one of the sensors is getting flaky. What is the best way of going about checking? I have service manual and specs. Could I just unhook one at a time and ride and see witch one is the issue?
    If you have installed a riva strainer make sure the hole is facing forward because that will cause to over heat at wide open throttle if installed backwards.

No code, 01 normal. Jim I've had the ic since last year so hole is facing the right way. Like I said water flow from everything is normal......

+1
    One thing you can do w/ the temp sensors is remove them and check for corrosion between the sensor and block/exhaust. You may be able to get away with cleaning the sensor or mounting area if you find corrosion or water deposits.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    One thing you can do w/ the temp sensors is remove them and check for corrosion between the sensor and block/exhaust. You may be able to get away with cleaning the sensor or mounting area if you find corrosion or water deposits.
    +1 do this. if you see it normal, replace it. That could be the failure.

Thinking outside the box here, Im having troubles with my Mtx-l a/f meter. It keeps resetting and going thru a start up, I replaced the o2 probe but still does it. Maybe this is just wishfull thinking but when the mtx-l goes into a startup the heater comes on, is it enough to set the thermo sensor off? they are so close to each other and at WOT it could blow whatever heat is coming off that right on to the sensor....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gashog301 View Post
    Thinking outside the box here, Im having troubles with my Mtx-l a/f meter. It keeps resetting and going thru a start up, I replaced the o2 probe but still does it. Maybe this is just wishfull thinking but when the mtx-l goes into a startup the heater comes on, is it enough to set the thermo sensor off? they are so close to each other and at WOT it could blow whatever heat is coming off that right on to the sensor....
    Remove the AFR sensor, then try to replicate the problem. Seems unlikely it would change the temp at WOT.

I have a different AFR setup, but I think we have the same Bosch sensor. Do the instructions include directions on initial calibration? It's a process I have to go through each time, after removing and reinstaling my sensor. Wondering if that might be causing the reset problem you describe w/ your MTX

Thread Information