Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Stx 1100 taking on water

Hi I am brand new to green hulk
    I'm unsure whether this is the right place to post this but...
    I have a Kawa Stx 1100 D.I. 2000, and it runs great, but after about 1/2 hour of riding it gets up to about an 1/2"-1" of water in the bottom. I have a bilge pump on the way, but would like to fix the problem, not band-aid it.

SO far, I have filled the rear up with a few inches of water and noticed 2 little screws leaking but EVER so slightly (A drip every 3-5 seconds), and they are above the water line so I don't think that is the full problem
    -I have NOT started it at the dock with seat of, will try so
    -I ran it on hose, couldn't seem to fund any leaks...
    My xp has bailers, but the kawa doesn't seem to have a bilge or bailers, so I need to fix it...

Any known problem spots?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wastadkey View Post
    Any known problem spots?
    The drive shaft holder...the black (approx. 5X5 inch) square piece mounted just behind the engine coupler. The rubber piece gets brittle with age and cracks letting water in. You might also see water coming in around the mounting bolts. Back your ski into the water with it still strapped down on the trailer and check it out. If it's just barely leaking, you might also have to crank the engine to create vibration and pressure to see it leaking.

The holder can be purchased separately or as an assembly with the bearing and seals already in it. You will need to replace all the parts anyway, the assembly makes it more convenient.

Your ski does have a bilge system that works when the ski is in forward motion. If it isn't working, the filters at the bottom of the hoses need to be cleaned or else the little air holes that are at the upper part of the hoses are clogged and need to be opened...or you have too much water volume coming in for it to take care of.

Get yourself a service manual.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    The drive shaft holder...the black (approx. 5X5 inch) square piece mounted just behind the engine coupler. The rubber piece gets brittle with age and cracks letting water in. You might also see water coming in around the mounting bolts. Back your ski into the water with it still strapped down on the trailer and check it out. If it's just barely leaking, you might also have to crank the engine to create vibration and pressure to see it leaking.

The holder can be purchased separately or as an assembly with the bearing and seals already in it. You will need to replace all the parts anyway, the assembly makes it more convenient.

Your ski does have a bilge system that works when the ski is in forward motion. If it isn't working, the filters at the bottom of the hoses need to be cleaned or else the little air holes that are at the upper part of the hoses are clogged and need to be opened...or you have too much water volume coming in for it to take care of.

Get yourself a service manual.
    Thank you for the reply
    The bearings/shaft holder look fine. I may have half solved the problem though.
    I just remembered the water out of the drain plugs was HOT, like warmer than bath temperature...cooling system leak???

I will have to check those bailers out, i couldn't find them last time I looked.

Where do I get a service manual?

+1
    Hot..warm...yeah, it's a system leak then. Should be pretty easy to find, the cooling system as far as the hoses go are simple to get to under the exhaust manifold and stinger. Check the bottom of the larger hose that connects the stinger to the water box/muffler.

Bilge hoses...take your rear seat off, pull the storage box, there will be two large air vent tubes. In between then will be the bilge setup. Two white fittings at the top with two hoses off each one. Two of the hoses go to the pump as a siphon, two go to the filters in the bottom of the hull. The filters would be hard to see, let alone get to.

Service manual...should be some on ebay for a lower cost. Perhaps some on CD. Gotta have one if you are going to work on this ski.

My wife has a 2000 STX-DI. Bought new for her in 2000. Still runs like a champ, very smooth and responsive with the direct injection and the handling is simply phenomenal.

6. +1 by:

I got a shop manual...quite a good read actually.

I checked the bailers and they are clear, also blew air through the bailer hoses and they were free. And yes they were a bother to get to!

Where should I go from here? I heard that the water log can go bad on these, where is that?

Thanks

+1
    Where should I go from here? I heard that the water log can go bad on these, where is that?
    I have no idea where the "water log" is, never heard it called that (kidding ya)...but the most likely section to clog is in the front of the engine in the stator section (under the front cover)...check there, take the line off from the manifold that goes into there and blow air through that. It will also lead to the cooling line that goes through the EMM (the electronic brain LOL) cuz' if ya ever have clog that leads to a overheating problem, it will fry tha' brain in a very short time...and you don't even want to know the headaches, frustration and overwhelming expense to deal with that one.

That water leak you got, it's very important to find it NOW, cuz' a water leak today could very well become a hose coming off a barb on your next outing. It has happened to many others. And you're not likely to notice it until the ski starts running a bit rough...and then seconds later it's gonna quit running...and you will be taking your seat off to see where the steam is coming from...and then notice how tippy the ski has become...that's cuz' by that time it will be almost full of water and will be going down. Only the tip of the nose will be left above the waters surface less than a minute later.

How likely is that to happen to you...read some more, search out Youtube for a Seadoo being videoed in that very same situation...we always hear about it happening over and over afterwards, but that video is the reality of just how fast it happens, and how totally unexpected it was.

OK, LOL, find your leak and fix it...blow out all your water lines so tha' brain won't get overheated from a half clogged cooling line...and then go out and let-er-rip and have a fantastic time!

9. +1 by:

+1

Bilge pump outlet

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention your bilge pump you have coming in. Just me, but I have the bilge outlet located on the left side just about even to where the pisser line is located on the right side. Why there??? So you will see and know "immediately" when it comes on. Cuz' if ya have enough water in your hull to activate it to start pumping, then you could have a big problem with lots of water coming in fast, and by seeing that the bilge pump is pumping, you will know about it immediately, before it's so full of water that ya can't do anything about it.

I tell my wife and kiddo's to immediately head to the nearest shoreline if the bilge pump comes on. Then check it out to see whether it's a very slow accumulation of water or else there is a more serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

I have my bilge pumps hooked up to where they come on automatically whether the ski is switched/turned on, running or not. Beats the heck out of tying it up to go get something and then coming back later to see it half or all the way submerged cuz' the pump was off cuz' the switch was off.

Read the service manual, get very well acquainted with it so you know where things are at, what they are called, their purpose/function and how they should be working.

Regular and preventative maintenance is the key to having a fun time every time!

11. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    Oh, yeah, forgot to mention your bilge pump you have coming in. Just me, but I have the bilge outlet located on the left side just about even to where the pisser line is located on the right side. Why there??? So you will see and know "immediately" when it comes on. Cuz' if ya have enough water in your hull to activate it to start pumping, then you could have a big problem with lots of water coming in fast, and by seeing that the bilge pump is pumping, you will know about it immediately, before it's so full of water that ya can't do anything about it.

I tell my wife and kiddo's to immediately head to the nearest shoreline if the bilge pump comes on. Then check it out to see whether it's a very slow accumulation of water or else there is a more serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

I have my bilge pumps hooked up to where they come on automatically whether the ski is switched/turned on, running or not. Beats the heck out of tying it up to go get something and then coming back later to see it half or all the way submerged cuz' the pump was off cuz' the switch was off.

Read the service manual, get very well acquainted with it so you know where things are at, what they are called, their purpose/function and how they should be working.

Regular and preventative maintenance is the key to having a fun time every time!
    Man your scaring me!!!

Where is the manifold (PARDON my mechanical newbness)

I got my bilge today and the output fits perfectly to my bailer hoses, so I thought instead of drilling a HOLE in my hull ( <-- hard to say) I would send it straight out there, but I guess I couldn't see it if it turns on and yes it is automatic.

Yes, I have experienced it filling up with water. I flipped it once and (stupidly) left it flipped upside down for like 5 min, and when I flipped it and swam it to shore (Yes i actually did) it was full of water I drained all of it out with a hand pump, and one push on the starter and it fire right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is reliability!

If the water is hot I guess it is leaking out AFTER it leaves the engine...am I right here??

+1
    Where is the manifold (PARDON my mechanical newbness)
    Just find all the water lines and follow them to their connection on each end.
    The two main 1/2 I.D. ones are on the port side/ back half of ski...one coming in from the jet pump supplying the water and one exiting out of the bottom of the exhaust manifold.
    Then go to the front of your engine, there will be the ones into and out of the front cover and into and out of tha' brain which is located right above it under the edge of the hull there. They are obvious water hose, can't miss um'. And then you have the line going to the side pisser, and yer' done.
    Cleaned out, hose clamps tightened. Tight but don't over-tighten them cuz' the clamp with break into right at the tightening screw.

Get to know your machine cuz' ya need to check over things from time to time. The more ya do, the more you will know...the more ya know, the less trouble you're going to have.

And if those oil injection lines haven't been changed out since it was new, which is likely, then they're 12 years old and hard or hardening. Replace those for sure when ya shut it down for the season. If ya don't, one will crack, leak oil out instead of going into the cylinder and cause one of your pistons to grenade on the exhaust side. Use some high quality oil line, Tygon comes to mind. 1/8 I.D.

I know, I know, nag nag nag...LOL. Just trying to save ya a bunch of grief and a bunch of money, not to mention the emotional side of things when something goes south with yer' ski...and when you know it was caused by something you didn't take care of, then it's even more sad.

I got my bilge today and the output fits perfectly to my bailer hoses, so I thought instead of drilling a HOLE in my hull ( <-- hard to say) I would send it straight out there, but I guess I couldn't see it if it turns on and yes it is automatic.
    Your call, your ski.

Yes, I have experienced it filling up with water. I flipped it once and (stupidly) left it flipped upside down for like 5 min, and when I flipped it and swam it to shore (Yes i actually did) it was full of water I drained all of it out with a hand pump, and one push on the starter and it fire right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is reliability!
    It's all a learning opportunity. LOL. Hope ya know/remember which way yer' supposed to turn it when it's upside down. Clockwise if your looking at it from the back to flip it back over...you always want the carb/intake side to stay up.

If the water is hot I guess it is leaking out AFTER it leaves the engine...am I right here??
    Yep, unless you're skiing in a very active volcanic lake...and if you are, we want pictures. LOL

14. +1 by:

Clockwise if your looking at it from the back to flip it back over...you always want the carb/intake side to stay up.
    ?????????? It says always turn in this direction and it shows counterclockwise!!!!!!!
    There is a brass nipple coming out of the head attaching to where the garden hose hooks up, should I take this out and put Teflon tape on it???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information