Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Rebuilding an sbt engine??

I bought a 2000 seadoo RX 951 last winter with a sbt reman crate engine, well it only lasted roughtly 35 hours before the crank let go last weekend. I guess i should have listened to all the other horror stories and got rid of it. anyhow i have the engine out of the ski and the cylinders off which look fine as well as the pistons, when i turn the crank it still spins freely but i hear slight clicking noises. My question is can i buy a OEM crank to put in this engine? Or do i need to use sbt parts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chartersj View Post
    I bought a 2000 seadoo RX 951 last winter with a sbt reman crate engine, well it only lasted roughtly 35 hours before the crank let go last weekend. I guess i should have listened to all the other horror stories and got rid of it. anyhow i have the engine out of the ski and the cylinders off which look fine as well as the pistons, when i turn the crank it still spins freely but i hear slight clicking noises. My question is can i buy a OEM crank to put in this engine? Or do i need to use sbt parts?

I would be careful and measure everything! I tried to rebuild one of there engines everything was all different sizes. Might be worth buying another motor by the time you do all that work for it just to blow up

+1
    oem cranks are $650 plus gaskets and someone to rebuild the engine, or i can get a oem brp crate engine for $2200 tax in here in NB. Are sbt cranks rebuildable?

+1
    I would look for a good used oem motor seem them cheap. I wouldnt bother rebuilding the sbt...sell it!

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Any,...ANY 2 stroke that isn't winterized properly will fail, especially the crank. I've had excellent luck or whatever you wanna call it with SBT. The RX, if you owned it since remanufactured and have done the normal maintenance to prevent any faliures for the 35 hrs then you could blame SBT. But if you haven't ,...then you cant blame SBT. yea the do what they do and they know what they do thats why they have the "no fault" warranty,.....And where would the majority of "Obama economics" Americans be be If it wasn't for SBT? There would be another big company doing thr same thing....so quit the bitch'n ,Their not perfect,neither are any of us but their affordable enough to keep the "Fun Factor" alive.
    good day guys, jus my two , thats all

+1
    i respect anyones opinion, and i have only been in the pwc world 4 years now, but when i bought my machine ( had roughly 10hrs) it had the crate engine installed before i bought it, and before it had to be winterized for its first time which i did. I fogged the engine, and it sat in a climate controlled building untill spring. I give the engine plenty of time to warm up before hard use, and i never did WOT for more than a minute. This is my first failure with sbt but its enough for me not to buy one of there products again. Now im stuck with a ski that needs more work than its worth.

+1
    i also understand you pain, i blew a SBT motor, but it had nothing to do with SBT, it had to do with dumping money into a ski than it was worth, and more money to put into it, the worse it gets.... mine now runs great and i cant complain about it !!!!!! not all SBT railures are SBT's fault......... just seems easy to blame them

I rebuilt several engines using SBT cranks and never had any problems. A couple of these were low hour 951's with bad OE cranks. Stuff fails on these engines, whether OE or SBT. I actually have had better luck with SBT pistons than OE pistons on 2-strokes.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I rebuilt several engines using SBT cranks and never had any problems. A couple of these were low hour 951's with bad OE cranks. Stuff fails on these engines, whether OE or SBT. I actually have had better lucwith SBT pistons than OE pistons on 2-strokes.
    I can see using parts but not rebuilding an sbt block, they bore them way over.

+1
    i just called and talked to one of sbt techs and he said i could use any crank in there cases. oem cranks are just as cheap here as hotrods cranks off ebay. As far as gasket kits is there any brands to stay away from? Or should i stick with oem as well?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information