Looking to buy dead 2004 STX15-F display.

I want to try and cut one open to see if I can identify failure points and possibly repair. I'm looking for a dead (or partially dead) display that failed from condensation or water behind the glass.

Thanks.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    In my experience when they get condensation in them they are gone for good in a short period of time. All the ones I have seen have had badly corroded insides and were beyond repair. Mind you I'm near the gulf so its all salt.

I'm working out the details for a gauge replacement unit using analog gauges and that plugs into the factory harness.

Sean

I've seen that post before and it seems he got it working. I figured there would be a bunch of dead ones around. No hits yet.

+1
    That was my gauge (I go by a different name on the other site), got it working the first time. The glue didn't hold and I flipped the 'Ski and got water in it a second time. I wasn't so lucky that time.

Steve-

I couldn't tell from your pic exactly where you cut. I'm sure that would make a huge difference on getting a wide enough land to re-glue it back together. I was thinking of parting it right in the middle of the face flange so there was a good wide land to re-glue. Then use a professional plastic welding agent to reseal it.

With as many ads as I've seen looking for new displays, I thought there would have been a ton of dead ones around.

I may have one from an 04 12F soon. It was a bit iffy when I bought it with some internal condensation. Slowly it's gotten worse until yesterday it failed altogether. Reading up on this problem I am kicking myself now for not pulling it out and trying the drying methods. I'm still going to do that, can't make it worse right? If that fails, and if I can swallow spending $700+ for the replacement I'm willing to offer the remains up for science. Maybe someone else down the road can benefit.

Trucky-

cool! I hope you fair better than I did. It's a lot of work to remove the dipslay and I tried the hair dryer thing to no avail. I would intermittently loose RPM & Speed - sometimes both worked but it always had a bat warning even though voltage was above 13. After my hair dryer attempt- first ride and it seemed to be working (except bat warning stil present) and within 3 minutes, the whole screen went blank. It comes back if you cycle the key but goes blank again and agian.

It sucks to have such a weak link in an otherwise great ski. Seems kinda nuts for Kawasaki to make a non-waterproof display for a jet ski. I see posts all over talking about the failed display in the 12F/15F. I also see posts looking for good used displays. With new ones well over $700 I would think someone smarter than me would figure out how to fix all these dead ones and have a lucrative market. After getting used to all the information available on that gauge I felt naked without it. I could live without most of it but the fuel gauge is sort of important out on the water.

So Sean, how far off are you with the analog replacements?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Well, I have analog gauges on my race ski but that requires some wiring at this point and mine is set up in the gauge cluster to show oil temp, rpm, and oil pressure but that's just how I have mine. For a replacement set that plugs in it would be fuel level, rpm, and either GPS speed or a temp gauge based on your choice. Then there will be warnings for oil pressure, temp, and battery as well as a slo mode indicator that will be leds.

Once I get the required information from my 12f gauge I'll need the stock gauge to use the plugs and wires.

The picture is of my race ski I'll make the box to control the gauges and LEDs and the mounting plate and you can pick out the gauges. I'm using the tiny tach and 2 auto meter marine pro comp carbon fiber gauges.

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344875896923.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	280336  

Thread Information