Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Twist throttle

+1

Twist throttle

Not really a performance ? But has anyone installed a twist throttle? I am just thinking it would be A little more comphy and easier to hang onto. Any thoughts?

Seems like anything that requires steering with the bar(s) does not go for a twist throttle. Hard right turn and it's harder to get on the throttle is one thing. I'd also think with the nature of a jet-ski a thumb/finger throttle is more controllable. You'd need to find a short turn throttle to be able to get on/off the throttle quickly - but then it'd be kind of "twitchy".

If you're thinking about it, try it. If you don't like it - go back I've been riding bikes since I was a kid and I don't mind the finger throttle (or a thumb throttle on an atv, I had an lt250r with a twist when I got it and hated it. Ended up switching it out.

+1
    I grew up riding dirt bikes and the street bikes so i kind of like twisting back on the throttle and feeling the power. Maybe i should just leave that on the motorcycle though.

Thanks

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey View Post
    Not really a performance ? But has anyone installed a twist throttle? I am just thinking it would be A little more comphy and easier to hang onto. Any thoughts?
    i wanted to do that long time ago but my buddy explained to me that if i get a wave or something my hand slip i can go open throttle and that could cause some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rosey View Post
    I grew up riding dirt bikes and the street bikes so i kind of like twisting back on the throttle and feeling the power. Maybe i should just leave that on the motorcycle though.

Thanks
    Same here. Which is why I suggested to try it. I've tried it - didn't like it Twist throttles belong on a bike. I don't have any issue getting use to the difference. Because the riding style varies greatly between the quad/jet ski/sport bike. I can go between all 3 one after another and not have any issue adapting.

Now the starter button on the other hand.... Jump on the R1. Honk the horn. Put my head down, start it, and get out of there because i'm a dumb bastard who looks like a newbie lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
    I can go between all 3 one after another and not have any issue adapting.

Now the starter button on the other hand.... Jump on the R1. Honk the horn. Put my head down, start it, and get out of there because i'm a dumb bastard who looks like a newbie lol

Kind of like a marathon there.

Hooking the horn, just making sure there are no critters under the bike before taking off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    i wanted to do that long time ago but my buddy explained to me that if i get a wave or something my hand slip i can go open throttle and that could cause some damage.
    This can happen with the factory Yamaha finger throttle too, been there done that;
    as I have said for years, I think the safest setup is the thumb throttle on the Sea-Doos.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    This can happen with the factory Yamaha finger throttle too, been there done that;
    as I have said for years, I think the safest setup is the thumb throttle on the Sea-Doos.
    Sea Doo throtle is the same thing as Yamaha just on the opposite side of the bars. i think i have more control on the finger throtle than on that twist thing. just saying. theres a reason why they made it that way

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Sea Doo throtle is the same thing as Yamaha just on the opposite side of the bars.
    Well the difference is, when you lose your balance on the Yamaha (like from a big wave at high speed) and start to fall backward, the finger throttle can get you into a lock down position; in other words you can't release your grip or you will fall off, so you can kinda get stuck in WOT for a few seconds. I have come close to coming off like this a couple times; if you have experienced it you will never forget it; it's pretty freaky. With the Sea-Doo you can still retain finger grip up front in that situation, but without throttle lock. I have never tried a twist throttle on a ski so I can't speak to that but sounds similar per your buddy, I don't know.

+1
    Go for broke..Mount a hot foot on that sucka!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information