This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

WTF:? where did THIS water come from...(yamaha VX)

Got a bunch of VX yamahas in last weekend from a nice family who lends thier skis out to others. 4 in total

One of the skis sounds really really bad..so I'm doing a full diagnostic on it expecting to find some real trouble ( like a zero compression cylinder..it sounded like a bucket of bolts and bottles when I cranked it.

So I go to pull the plugs ( after sucking 5 quarts(!) of oil out of the tank.) I figured the engine had so much oil in the sump .....

I pull the first coil and get a bunch of rusty water..same with the rest..all the plug cavities were filled with rusty water..yet the oil was pretty clean, but there was milk shake inside the hull area.

So...

I believe the engine was totally submerged for a while in order to have water penetrate the coil seals..but..why wasn't the engine ruined...?

after blowing the water out and soaking it in penetrating oil for a bit the plugs came out (whew!) and with new plugs the engine was purring like a kitten after a few tense moments of cranking with no response at all.

So it went from disaster land to candyland in just a few hours...

what happened??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Got a bunch of VX yamahas in last weekend from a nice family who lends thier skis out to others. 4 in total

One of the skis sounds really really bad..so I'm doing a full diagnostic on it expecting to find some real trouble ( like a zero compression cylinder..it sounded like a bucket of bolts and bottles when I cranked it.

So I go to pull the plugs ( after sucking 5 quarts(!) of oil out of the tank.) I figured the engine had so much oil in the sump .....

I pull the first coil and get a bunch of rusty water..same with the rest..all the plug cavities were filled with rusty water..yet the oil was pretty clean, but there was milk shake inside the hull area.

So...

I believe the engine was totally submerged for a while in order to have water penetrate the coil seals..but..why wasn't the engine ruined...?

after blowing the water out and soaking it in penetrating oil for a bit the plugs came out (whew!) and with new plugs the engine was purring like a kitten after a few tense moments of cranking with no response at all.

So it went from disaster land to candyland in just a few hours...

what happened??
    i'm guessing the water came through the exhaust maybe before winterization and was left there

+1
    Leaky seat base.

someone decided to do thier own maint and figured lets change the plugs but we dont have the correct wrench and walk off, days after the rain stops they decide to ride so put the plug wires back on
    then the seat and off they go.

Thread Information