+1

2003 XLT1200 bendix access?

Hi all, just picked up a 2003 xlt1200 in beautiful shape for 1200 with the thought that I could do a full rebuild if needed and still be ahead of the game. Owner thought the only issue was the bendix went out. I am trying to find out what someone would recommend on this model for getting access to the flywheel. Exhaust was already removed by previous owner. Here are my questions:
    1. can I access it without pulling the engine?
    2. Assuming I can, do I need to find some way to support the engine to pull the flywheel cover off.
    3. If I need to support it, would some wood under the engine suffice or do I need to rig up some type hoist to hold it while I work on it? (does support need to be precise or will the shaft alone support it adequately.
    4. Do these bendix die or do they just have a tendancy to stick and need lubricated
    Any help would be appreciated!

+1
    Yes you can do it with engine in. You can use a piece of wood to support it. Oside Bill gave me that tip and it worked great. Just take out the motor mount bolts and shove something under there. I used a scrap 1x4. I had a bendix strip out some teeth but that was because the motor siezed. I somehow have aquired several used ones if it turns out you need one I could send you one. But if you think you are doing a full rebuild then wait until you have the motor out to do it.

+1
    Thanks! I actually got into it this evening and the bendix was/is in multiple little pieces inside the housing, so I guess that answers my question. Got the flywheel bolt off maybe too easily but my flywheel puller bolts arent long enough. I think the most challenging part is going to be figuring out blindly which holes to put the bolts through.... Not sure how the hell Im going to figure that one out at a blind 90 degree angle. I need a bigger mirror than what I have I guess. Should the flywheel come off without too much (cough cough) trouble in the engine? (I have a nice combination of a DC Charger underneath and bicycle hanging rack ropes from above holding it....

+1
    If the bendix is the only issue, then be careful of the washers and spring that goes in the stator cover where the bendix shaft sits. Can easily come out and is magnetic which can stick to the flywheel. Make sure to remove all debris and check the starter for missing or damaged teeth also. I find it a lot easier to pull the engine as to see everything. Snatch off the exhaust manifold and it makes life easier especially if you have to do more engine work. Assume a carb rebuild if not already done, so might as well pop them off also.

+1
    I can see the washer in the stator cover and it appears the spring is beneath it. I have missed that in a rebuild of an xl700 once and learned my lesson the hard way there is just one spring and washer in the stator housing correct?

There are a bunch of very small "pellets" and crushed springs that appear to be come from the bendix that were around the stator. flywheel looks okay so far but I have to pull it to replace the bendix anyhow so I should be able to get a good look then. Wont know where I stand on engine work with this one until I can turn the crank to check compression.

Im new to the XLT platform. do they recommend the waveeaters for the 2003 or was that just the earlier models?

Thread Information