Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

what is the correct way to flush FZS/R with p/cooler and engine cooling?

What is the correct procedure to flush the FZS/R with the riva power cooler and the engine cooling upgrade? how shall it be flushed, with the engine running or shut off and which one first?

My ski over heated while i flushed my ski with the stock oem flushing system while engine was running. The water pissed out perfectly fine when i flushed the power cooler and the T (engine cooling) and the engine was not running at this point.

Wouldnt want to ruin anything or want the engine to over heat again. As soon as it beeped i pulled the kill switch. I hope i havent messed anything up.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Turn on the ski, start flushing, stop flushing, blip throttle, shut off. You shouldn't be flushing for more than 45 sec or so.

+1
    I flush the riva cooler with engine off and the cooling system with engine running. No need to flush them both at same time since you shouldn't be revving the ski at 6k+rpm on the trailer. Boost doesn't start til 6k. That is assuming your ski has the dedicated IC water line.

+1
    yes my ski has a dedicated cooling line for the I/C. But it overheated hence warning light came on when i was flushing the regular oem flushing system. i am currently flushing the I/C and T (riva engine cooling upgrade) without the engine running.

So the correct procedure would be to first flush the OEM flushing system (engine running), then the I/C (engine off), lastly the riva engine cooling line (engine running)?

thanks

+1
    I honestly don't know what the riva engine cooling upgrade is. I just assumed it was thicker replacement hose and billet T's to replace stock cooling lines and plastic T's. It's not a good idea to run water to the engine cooling lines without engine running.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    I honestly don't know what the riva engine cooling upgrade is. I just assumed it was thicker replacement hose and billet T's to replace stock cooling lines and plastic T's. It's not a good idea to run water to the engine cooling lines without engine running.
    Here is a picture showing the OEM flushing connection, Riva Gen2 I/C flushing connection and lastly the Riva engine cooling upgrade flushing connection. Now obviously you initially flush the OE system as manual instructs with engine running saltaway etc. When doing this no water flushes through the Riva I/C as water does not piss through the side hull exit but only from the jet pump and exhaust! So after that you would flush the Riva I/C engine off with saltaway for a minute or two. Water pisses out the side hull exit and out the extra rear pisser under the seat. No water out the jetpump or the exhaust. Now when flushing the Riva engine cooling connection water piss out the side hull exit and both the extra rear pisser under the seat not out the jet pump or exhaust! Should the engine be running or off?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120808-00857.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	279878

+1
    Ahh, i see. you hook the riva flush into the main engine cooling line to keep the water from exiting the pump. Cool idea. I like the riva flush kit on my IC better than OEM flush connection.

+1
    After looking at your picture again. I see that the riva engine cooling line is on the IC side of the ski. After the midwall, does that line cross back over to the OEM cooling line routing? The extra line off the T is running to the OEM flush port?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    After looking at your picture again. I see that the riva engine cooling line is on the IC side of the ski. After the midwall, does that line cross back over to the OEM cooling line routing? The extra line off the T is running to the OEM flush port?
    No the line is only dedicated for the I/C. The extra line off the T goes straight to the oil cooler. View Below. So would it be correct to flush this line with the engine off? No way water can fill up through the exhaust and damage valves/engine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riva_RY10040.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	279881

+1
    To answer your question based on the diagram - off. Otherwise the engine will overheat.

You didn't ask, but it makes more sense to me to flush: 1. OEM running - 2. supplied flush kit, engine off - 3. Riva IC flush, engine off. Otherwise, since the IC will contain quite a bit of residual salt-away, you'll be wasting some of your IC salt-away, flushing from the supplied flush kit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information