Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

FZR w/GIO and Slow Acceleration-Related?

I hesitate to post this because I don't want to start a bash fest against Yamaha but here goes. I bought a '12 FZR new and it has never run as well as my '09 FZS. The oil level rises because of fuel contamination (about 1/2 qt in 6 hours) and it accelerates "slower" than I think it should. The two situations where the engine lays down are-1) when the engine is not heat soaked it hits the rev limiter out of the hole for an instant, drops about 200 RPM and the boat speed climbs; once the engine is hot it drops about 500 RPM, and 2) during hard cornering (I have Macc sponsons and an R+D plate on it) the engine speed drops to about 7,000 RPM and accelerates slowly out of the turn.

My dealer and Yamaha techs have studied the boat and performed a compression test, leak down, injector test and whatever else YDIS specifies and can find nothing wrong.

I have two theories: 1) the rings/pistons/cylinder bores aren't true or are defective which causes a loss of cylinder pressure under high loads, and 2) the ECU is flaky or incorrect causing an extremely rich air/fuel ratio.

I'm not mad at the manufacturer as I think most riders wouldn't even notice the effects and I am not averse to tearing the engine down for measurements and inspections but I would like to assess the probability of finding anything before I go ripping it apart. What do you guys think?

+1
    Have the dealer swap it out for a new one.

+1
    Take it to a different dealer.
    I can tell you for a fact that some of them don't know jack.
    And I would definitely get a second opinion before "ripping" anything apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    The oil level rises because of fuel contamination (about 1/2 qt in 6 hours) and it accelerates "slower" than I think it should.
    My advise would be take to another dealership... if not an option talk to the head mechanic there ask him if the oil level should go up with time (he will tell you no) than ask him if he would mark your dipstick level for you and you will bring it back in after a few hours of riding for him to inspect.

+1
    also you sure you dont have a stuck injector or something? How do your plugs look?

+1
    Any mods at all on your '12?

+1
    Most likely bad valves or rings! When they did the leak down test, did they tell you the percentage that it leaked? Was it low, moderate or high? I would ask them to do it again and take a look at the gauge for yourself!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasgpr View Post
    Most likely bad valves or rings! When they did the leak down test, did they tell you the percentage that it leaked? Was it low, moderate or high? I would ask them to do it again and take a look at the gauge for yourself!
    would you not think he would be loosing oil than? expecially if it is bad enough that you can feel HP lose..

+1
    The boat is totally stock. I plan on doing level one mods once I get these issues resolved. I asked the tech how the leak down test was performed and he said he just did what the YDIS diagnostic software specified. A rep from Yamaha was in the shop when my boat was there and the first thing he suggested was an injector test. They only checked whether they fire when power is applied. I don't think that tells much because the the performance could be different at high RPMs. I don't understand the phenomena of GIO-how can gas end up in the oil after it has been through the combustion process? If the gas is getting past the rings I always thought this indicated blow by in the cylinder which would pressurize the crankcase and cause oil to be displaced into the intake system.

I am entertaining the idea of taking it to a different dealer but I have to figure out how to assess the skills of the techs before I select one. As I said before, this effect is very subtle. I have a tendency to see problems when there really aren't any so the acceleration issue may be cured with level one mods but I can measure the increase in oil level so I'm convinced this is indicative of a defect of some kind.

+1
    DO you smell strong contamination of gas in your oil?
    Oil levels rise when engine gets warm, that is where there is a "full cold" and full hot" marked on most vehicles dipsticks.

If you mark dipstick before you ride, then ride all day, wait until next morning to check dipstick oil level. ( cold mark to cold mark)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information