+1

FZS and SHO Engine Compartment Air Circulation

I have a riding buddy who I consider very knowledgeable that has a new FZ and a older FX SHO. He installed a fan in the engine compartment that runs when the engine is running and shuts down about a minute after being turned off (connected to the bilge pump?). His explanation is that after riding for some time that if you stop and then start going again the performance is less good because the air has got so hot. I do notice that after running hard, then stopping and then jumping back on the throttle there is a perceptible depreciation in performance for a few minutes. He has a cool air intake on the FZ along with about the same bolt on modifications mine has.

If we are drag racing on smooth water I'll pull my rear storage bucket out adding more air volume to the compartment which seems to help. We are not serious racers just like foolin around but just that seems to help quite a lot.

Any thoughts on this idea of a circulation fan? Seems like a inexpensive modification that could add performance and longevity.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    I have a riding buddy who I consider very knowledgeable that has a new FZ and a older FX SHO. He installed a fan in the engine compartment that runs when the engine is running and shuts down about a minute after being turned off (connected to the bilge pump?). His explanation is that after riding for some time that if you stop and then start going again the performance is less good because the air has got so hot. I do notice that after running hard, then stopping and then jumping back on the throttle there is a perceptible depreciation in performance for a few minutes. He has a cool air intake on the FZ along with about the same bolt on modifications mine has.

If we are drag racing on smooth water I'll pull my rear storage bucket out adding more air volume to the compartment which seems to help. We are not serious racers just like foolin around but just that seems to help quite a lot.

Any thoughts on this idea of a circulation fan? Seems like a inexpensive modification that could add performance and longevity.

I would think it would be a bigger benefit to allow the trapped hot air out and let the cool air in.
    Have you tried running without the rear bucket and BACK SEAT OFF?
    Maybe someone could chime in who has air vents on there ski!
    If you had the watercooled housing that should help with the underseat air temp.
    Just my .02

+1
    if it was just a river ski,, why not put proper duckting into the engine bay,, back seat off the fresh air will pump heaps of hot air out once slightly moving,

+1
    Yep...do remove the rear seat entirely sometimes. But this isn't a river ski. It is generally rode in the Gulf of Mexico. Can't upgrade the intercooler (Fizzle) or make modifications that might jeopardize my warranty.

Also thought about cutting holes and using Frog Skinz or whatever. I have another buddy rides a P-X has done that though and I don't think it has done that much. Air has to get in and out I agree.

+1
    IMO no point in adding the fan like your buddy did. The 1800cc engine is moving a very large amount of air every second. So any decrease in performance you may have by letting the air inside the hull heat up is incredibly minimal.

If you want more performance by using air mods, you need to get more air into the engine compartment. For example, you can cut out the side cowlings on the FZ like Jerry and many other have done.

Personally, I pick up 100rpms by taking off my front seat while riding = more air into the engine compartment.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    There are a number of products out there for venting air. I like Frog skins. they are more versital than the snap-in style.

Thread Information