Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winterizing my ski

I am totally new to jetski's. Just picked up my first a 1996 Wave Venture 700 that is in excellant condition with only 45 hours. I am not new to motorsports however, and have serveral ATV's (Grizzlies) and snowmobiles (Apex) and have been riding for years. Most everything i have is 4Stroke thou and i know how to winterize them along with my 2 S stuff. But Jetski's are different. I really want to make sure i winterize it properly as i live in a very cold winter climate. Mainly what i would like to know is how to flush to motor to make sure i don't have any freeze damage. I know how to fog, etc... On my ski there is a tube that is coming off the motor and the seller told me that is where i flush it with RV antifreeze. I guess there is a part from yamaha that i can get to connect this to a hose. My concern is how i am going to get the Antifreeze in the motor. Will the motor have enough suction to take it from a 5 gallon bucket etc... any help you can give me would be appreciated.

+1
    Just search "winterize" in this forum. It's all here. Pressurized garden sprayer for antifreeze, full fuel tank, grease fittings, silicone spray, etc. Allot an hour to reading and you will have your answers thanks to the collective wisdom of all the great folks here on the Hulk.

i did, and couldn't find the complete list. I have it all down except for the "pressurized garden sparyer" that's the only thing i need to know how to do.

+1
    I wouldn't worry about the anti-freeze bit for 2 strokers. Just make sure you get all the water out of the system. Dry start it every few days and blip the throttle. I keep as little gas in the tank as possible, and fog. I also put a couple damp rid containers in the hull, one in engine bay and the rear...to soak up extra moisture. Cover with a tarp, and you're gtg.

+1
    By a garden sprayer at Lowe's and all the fittings you need to attach the spray end to the water intake where you flush the ski. Pour 1 gallon RV antifreeze into sprayer. Pump up sprayer & attach to ski. Start ski. Squeeze trigger on sprayer. When the pink antifreeze starts to drain from ski shut off sprayer then shut off ski.
    If you're storing outside or in an unheated space I would definitely do this.

+1
    is it time for the winterization threads already? this is always a sad time of year.

i too made a garden sprayer bottle for antifreeze, only i ditched the squeeze trigger and used a ball socket valve

+1
    I do mine with a small pony pump i put the hose in the anti-freeze and wait until ant-freeze come out......

+1
    "If you're storing outside or in an unheated space I would definitely do this."
    Well, to each its own I guess. I live in NY with some brutal winters, and have never used antifreeze, and was also advised it was not needed.

+1
    It seems like water/cooling systems on these 2 stroke jetski's sort of self drain. Especially if you store it nose high. They only place the water gets trapped is in the water box. You never really read about freeze damaged engines but you do occasionally read about cracked/freeze damage water boxes.
    I also haven't used antifreeze the last couple years. My ski is stored in a unheated, attached garage. But one thing that antifreeze does offer is some corrosion protection in 2 ways. It has corrosion protection additives in it and it displaces any water in the system that can cause corrosion.

so is this what you guys are referring to? one of these products? Name:  Garden sprayer.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  2.5 KBName:  pump.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  3.5 KB

IN wisc, we have a few days in the winter in which we may hit 25 below zero and not be above freezing for more than 6 weeks at a time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information