Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2012 RXP-X Offshore Aux Fuel cell - Review

Over the past few months I've been testing an offshore Auxilary fuel cell for my 2012 RXP-X and here is my review.

Background/Reason:

I was one of the first to get my P-X back in the middle of January. So far I have 51hrs on the ski and i've enjoyed every minute of it. My only complaint is how thirsty this pig is. I go on some very long distance rides on some desolate rivers as well as across the Atlantic to the Bahamas. I needed a way to carry extra fuel in order to make the distance on these trips. On my jetboats I carried jerry cans that I strapped to the swim platform which worked OK in a pinch... but trying to siphon fuel while in the middle of the Ocean is a huge pain in the ass and very dangerous.... One wave over the side and a gallon of salt water could pour into the fuel tank and i'd be dead in the water. Plus, the hump on the back on the P-X makes it difficult/impossible to securely strap jerry cans to the back swim platform.

Research:

I began doing some research on what my fueling options were for this ski. After crawling the Intarwebz for awhile I came across a few offshore jetski endurance racing websites. These dudes compete in some serious distance offshore jet ski races and utilize custom made fuel cells to increase their distance and reducing the times they need to pit in order to refuel. After contacting these guys and asking about their fuel cells they pointed me to the guy who made them for their team. *** I don't know the rules about posting info on other websites or vendors who are not official GH vendors so i'll be vague here as to not piss anybody off*** These fuel cells are actually plumbed in line with the existing fuel cells. They utilize the factory vent tube as a filler from the Aux tank to the main tank. So as fuel is drained by the fuel pump in the main tank the space is created and pressure changes which causes fuel to be automatically transferred from the aux tank to the main tank. I don't know how it works but i'm sure somebody with a stronger grasps on physics could explain it better. So basically the fuel cell is constantly refilling the main tank until its emptied without the need for wiring up additional fuel transfer pumps... Very cool!

The fuel cell fabricator said since the '12 P-X was brand new that he's never made one before but since he felt it would be a very popular model that he would be willing to design one for me. Apparently he owns/works at a Seadoo dealer so has access to P-X's he could use to measure and mock up a fuel cell. After a few weeks of design and manufacturing he created a 7Gal fuel cell that sits inside the front storage compartment.

Install & Testings:

I've had this tank for a few months now and have flowed over 50Gals of fuel thru it. It works great! The 7Gal fuel cell takes up 100% of the front storage compartment so i've only got the crotch box as the sole place to store anything... acceptable trade off. The initial install required tapping into the fuel filler neck and drilling a new vent tube which only took an hour. The fuel cell utilizes quick connect fuel hoses so installing and removing the fuel cell only takes 5 minutes. So when I'm not going on long distance rides I can remove the fuel cell and return to stock to reclaim my front storage compartment.

Having an extra 7Gals (45lbs) of fuel sitting in the front storage compartment changes the way the skis feels in the water a little bit... I just use the trim to adjust the nose up a little bit to return it to its natural position. When using the Aux fuel cell all the fuel in the Aux tank is drained first so once the 7 gals is used the natural center of gravity on the ski is returned.

I've used this fuel cell for smooth river riding, normal rec riding, and a 55 mile each way trip across the gulf stream from Miami to Bimini in some pretty horrible conditions and so far so good. The fuel cell is holding up great.

post up with questions or comments!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	279943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	279944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	279945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	279946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	279947  

That shit Is awesome man! Great post/research on this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeret View Post
    That shit Is awesome man! Great post/research on this.
    +1
    I agree.

+1
    Funny we were discussing this two nights ago over dinner. Very nice.

+1
    That looks like a friebe setup. Nice fit..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    That looks like a friebe setup. Nice fit..
    You sir... are correct.

+1
    I have one of his cells in the front of my ski in my avatar..... It took some abuse that day for sure and many more beatings after that... Steve's a great guy!

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    so the fuel cell gravity feeds the oem tank? good idea!

+1
    Great idea, but where do you place your safety gear now?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT View Post
    so the fuel cell gravity feeds the oem tank? good idea!
    I don't know if gravity feed is the right way to describe the process. As space is created in the main tank from the fuel pump the pressure changes and creates a vacuum which sucks the fuel out of the aux tank. The aux tank fuel lines actually feed up and into where the fuel filler neck is tapped... so its actually traveling against gravity for a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Olomana View Post
    Great idea, but where do you place your safety gear now?
    Shhhhhhh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information