Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Polaris Virage TXI 1200. 2 cylinders won't fire or spark. Please advise...

Hello all new to the site. I just purchased a 2002 Polaris Virage TXI 1200. The guy that sold it told me that one cylinder fires. The other two do not and produce no spark. I confirmed this myself.

Thought it may be the coils. However when I take the wire from the coil that fires and place it on the other two, one at a time, they fire.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have ideas about how to fix it or what it is?

Any and all help is appreciated. I just want to get it running and go ride!!!

Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do you know any of the prior service history for the machine?

Just in case, remove, clean and retighten the grounding bolts and tabs on all three ignition coils. You want to ensure clean and solid metal to metal contact.

See my signature links for info on how to assemble and use the simple LED tool to read the trouble codes from the EMM.

Read the codes, wrote them down, clear the codes, then try to start the engine one time. Then read the codes again.

Just as a test, unplug the TPS connector and see if you now have spark on all three.

I do not know a huge amount about the previous maintenance. I do know that a new engine was put in it and that has 30 hours on it.

I was told it stopped running while the owner was riding it and had to be towed in. It was the end of the season and he says That he found 2 cylinders were not firing and then said he pulled the orange wire from the cylinder that was firing and tried it on the other two and they worked when it was on them.

I will go out to my shop now and clean the Grounding bolts and make sure they are metal to metal.

The other problem with this Polaris is the digital screen does not work well as it has begun to turn black from the bottom up. I know I will need a new one of those, but im not to worried about it as it should not affect the way it runs. Or am I wrong on that?

+1
    Well, on the carburetor engines a bad display unit can sometimes affect the ignition system. I cannot say whether the Ficht EMM could be affected, but I have not heard of it happening (yet).

However, it is fairly easy to unplug and bypass the MFI display unit. See my signature links for the details.

Remove and check the CPS sensor from the top of the flywheel housing. Inspect for physical damage or any signs of metal shavings. Check the ohms. Typical CPS measures about 140 ohms, if memory serves.

My suspicion is the the EMM itself may have developed a problem. If the water cooling flow through the EMM was blocked or the main cooling water inlet was clogged with weeds it is possible the EMM has been overheated.

Sometimes these EMM just fail. A company called DFI Technologies repairs them. Not cheap, but they are the only game in town that can fix them.

Before you send the EMM out, examine the contacts in the big 40-pin connector and in the wire harness. Look for signs of corrosion, moisture or excessive dielectric grease on some of the pins.
    Note: the stock EMM mounting location is a real pain getting at the EMM. Try not to drop the hex wrench you will be using to unscrew the retaining bolt from that large connector. Dropped items tend to go hide under the fuel tank...

Note that there is exactly one spark plug that can be used in these Ficht engines, NGK PZFR6H.

Thanks for your help. I will work on this some more tomorrow. And will let you know what I find.

Ok so I have been out of town for a bit and haven't been able to work on this, but finally tonight got a chance to look closely at the engine. Found that the third cylinder had a blown gasket. This is the lowest gasket on the header. Not sue what it is called, advice is needed for that. Also wondering where I could get gaskets for this engine. The pistons and header is still in great condition and does not seem like it needs to be remanufactured.

If anyone knows where to get gaskets please let me know, or if you think that it's easier to make my own or use liquid gasket I can do that instead.

All cylinders are getting spark and is trying to turn over so I assume that this may be the only issue.

+1
    Header?

Use the official Polaris Industries parts diagrams and then we can have a common frame of reference;
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

Parts Sources are listed from my signature links.

It is the gasket between the crankcase and the cylinder head...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bres05 View Post
    It is the gasket between the crankcase and the cylinder head...
    Cylinder base gasket. Those do NOT usually fail.

Something is not right (obviously). Perhaps the cylinder was not properly torqued down?

Ok I have determined that the part number I need is 5830123. I know I can get these out of florida but it will not be until next week.

Has anyone ever made their own gaskets using the gasket sheets(usually cork type material) Wondering if this would be an option for me. Any advise will help. Thanks!!

I agree that the gasket should not have blown. It looks to me like the person that rebuilt the engine used a liquid gasket, as it was not even where it still was in place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information