Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 msx140 wont fires but wont crank and run.

MY MSX140 QUIT DURING A RECENT RIDE. I HAVE REPLACED THE PLUGS, CHECKED COMPRESSION, FIXED A FALLEN OUT FUEL REGULATOR AND REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP. i AM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS. iT ACT LIKE IT WANTS TO START AND ACTUALLY FIRES, BUT WILL NOT STAY RUNNING. I HAVE PRETTY GOOD PRESSURE TO THE INJECTORS, BUT IT DOESNT HOLD PRSSURE AT THE CHECK VALVE ONCE YOU QUIT CRANKING THE ENGINE. I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO TRY NEXT.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Unplug the TPS and see if will idle.

See my signature links for lots more info regarding these Ficht engines.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Unplug the TPS and see if will idle.

See my signature links for lots more info regarding these Ficht engines.

I tried unplugging it and the same thing. I checked the connectors, removed and re-installed the TPS and still no help. i have tried disconnecting the flat LR86 module and that doesn't have any effect either. I am going to try making the LED tester to see if there are any codes flashing. Other than that, I am not sure what to try next.

+1
    When the engine died on the water was it sudden, like the lanyard had been pulled?

Did it restart on the water?

Was anything jammed inside the jet pump?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When the engine died on the water was it sudden, like the lanyard had been pulled?

Did it restart on the water?

Was anything jammed inside the jet pump?
    it did go dead suddenly like tha lanyard had been pulled. it did not restart and has not started since. i have not checked for anything jammed in the pump. i will check that in the morning, but it happened in the middle of the lake in open water and i wouldn't expect any debris.

i checked the pump and there is nothing jammed in it.
    i made the test light and was able to pull code 17----(alternator below expected range) and code 12------(TPS circiuit malfunction).
    how do i test these issues? i tried disconnecting the TPS and it still would not start or idle. do i need to replace it or is there a way to test it?
    I appreciate any help.

+1
    The codes need to be cleared. Then try to start the engine. Then re-read the codes to see if they recur.

I tried to clear the codes with no luck. using the jumper, it goes through the process and still flashes the codes. it willnot start when everything is reconnected. I tried clearing the codes using the TPS and that does not work either. The light does not come on when the TPS is rotated to the minimum (or maximum) positions. The light does not respond to the TPS movements at all. I cycled through like the directions say, but this does not clear the codes. Does thsi indicate that the TPS is the problem?? Is there anything else i need to check or try? Do i need to go ahead and get a new TPS?

+1
    It is tricky to get the EMM code clearing sequence to actually work. The timing of the steps is hard to pace exactly.

I have had to try a half dozen times before it takes. Sometimes I get lucky and it works the first time

Sometimes for me it works best using he switch or jumper wire, sometimes using the TPS. But I am using a known good TPS.

+1
    Recap;

Does not start with TPS unplugged

Does not start with TPS plugged in

Sometimes fires while cranking but does not actually run

Spark is present, fuel pressure is present.

Things to check;
    Injector voltage while cranking. This is the White/Red wires. Without unplugging any of them, find a place to measure the voltage on any White/Red wires. Voltage while cranking with a healthy battery should be over 20 volts.

If spark is present try priming with a spoonful of fuel down the throttle body throats. See if it starts and runs for a few seconds. Don't overdo the priming and be careful of possible backfires with the cover off the flame arrestor. Keep your face away from the air intakes while cranking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information