Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New to me Genesis i

Hi guys,
    New to your forum and it looks like a great place for info.
    We bought a 2004 Genesis i FI ski. It had been sitting for a few years. We checked out what we could, filled the tanks and off to the lake.
    The ski started up fine, and my wife took it over to our slip. Ran fine. Later that day we took it out and it ran great.
    The next day, it ran very rough and was stalling on the way out of the no wake area. When I opened it up, it was still rough, but ran better as it warmed up???
    Later that day we stopped and filled the fuel tank, and it ran great again. Started to think I had a tank vent issue. I removed the vent and cleaned it out. Seems fine. I have not had a chance to re-test yet.
    Thought you guys might have some other things I might check.

On a side note.
    There are two "vents" under the seat, one for the fuel tank, and another with a smaller hose, maybe 4 feet long. The other end of this line is not connected to anything. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Bob

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

The smaller line is the vent for the battery. Either it came off, was not connected or in the case of a sealed AGM battery, no vent is necessary. As for your running issue, I am not an expert with the fuel injected models. Im sure someone else will be along to help.

In the mean time, check out the links in my signature for very helpful information!

-Brad
    Last edited by K447; 08-09-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks Brad,
    The battery vent makes a lot of sence.
    I have read some posts about the "gray" fuel lines. Mine are original, so I may cheange them out next.

Thanks again
    Bob

Nice hijack...............
    Anyway, if anyone has some ideas on my rough cold idle, I would be most grateful.
    Thanks
    Bob

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

New to me Genesis i

Quote Originally Posted by Bob on This View Post
    ... if anyone has some ideas on my rough cold idle, I would be most grateful.
    Thanks
    Bob
    Have you looked through the Ficht section of my signature links?

The TPS is a very common failure item and can cause all sorts of symptoms. Replace the TPS with a new or known good TPS.

Even if your current TPS turns out to still be good, it is never a bad idea to have a spare TPS on hand. The only reliable test for a bad TPS is to replace it with another TPS.

What exactly did you clean with the vents? How did you clean it?
    Last edited by K447; 08-15-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Thread moved to Open Discussion forum

Thanks K447,
    I just removed the vent line and the two valves (pressure and vacume) blow out some oily crud, but not much.
    Changed plugs, no better.
    By the time I get out of the no wake zone (1/4 mile) the engine is so loaded, it stuggles to get an RPM.
    Once I get it up to speed for a while, it finnaly runs OK.

Also, the last time out, after some starts and re-starts, the dash went dead. My wife puched me back to the dock with her ski, and it suddenly came back to life????

I will try a new TPS and see if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob on This View Post
    ... the last time out, after some starts and re-starts, the dash went dead. My wife pushed me back to the dock with her ski, and it suddenly came back to life???? ....
    That suggests you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Start with the engine ground connection. Make sure everything is clean and tight. Remove the bolt and clean the bolt threads and bolt hole, remove any surface paint and retighten.

After that start working through the electrical system. Focus on the red and red/Purple wires and the black ground wiring. The display should never go completely blank unless the power is cut off.

Guys,
    I have replaced the TPS, new fuel pump (did find the regulator at the bottom of the tank, tought I had found the problem). New plugs and new battery.
    The ski still wont run. It will start for a few revs and then die. Where do I go from here?
    I have not looked at the injector voltage yet.
    What do you think?

Thanks
    Bob

Its beginning to sound like you have an EMM that is failing. They seem to not run well when cold but as heat gets into the EMM they run ok. I just had to have one repaired, ski would fire but would not stay running. The more you fired it the longer it would tend to run each time but just would not keep going. DFI found some trouble in it, not sure exaclty what it was. I have not had a chance to reinstall it yet to test, the ski is currently being stored elsewhere as I ran out of room at my house.

+1
    Did you check fuel pressure with the new pump?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information