+1

06 STX-12F Tips on removing cooling pipe under intake

I'm trying to remove the cooling pipe under the intake. The engine is overheating and from what I've read, this is a common problem area. I took the hose loose from under the waterbox, which runs to the pipe, and was unable to blow through it so I'm pretty sure the cooling pipe is clogged. What is the easiest way to remove the pipe with the motor in the ski? I've removed the intake, along with the airbox, but cant slide the intake far enough out of the way to get good access to the pipe. I was able to reach and remove the two bolts thta hold the pipe on, but now the pipe seems to be frozen in the block. Is it possible to remove the intake from the ski without removing the engine? the Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joe

+1
    Remove the fuel rail and unplug all the connections and then lift out the intake being careful of the injectors on the fuel rail. The pipe is frozen in the block, at least all 3 I have dealt with were. Wiggle, tap and pry but it will probably break off anyway. Very poor design with the metal. After it breaks I did have success screwing a heavy screw into the metal ring that was left and the tappIng and prying the piece out with that. I also had to drill one until it broke free being careful not to damage the block. Good luck their a pain.

+1
    So you were able to pull the intake out after removing the fuel rail? Did you have to remove the intake studs, because I've tried and it doesnt seem to have enough clearance with the hull? And did you have to remove the throttle body?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    You may want to remove the throttle body was well. I had to drill 2 relief holes in each piece to get mine out. It was a pain. Be sure to clean up the area when you are done and use a good marine grease on the new part.

Sean

We where able to get the intake manifold out of the way by unbolting the bracket that holds the ecu and the voltage regulator. Once we did that we where able to slide it to the rear and out of the way.

We broke one of the fittings off in the motor and where able to get it out by tapping with 3/8" threads. We then took a bolt with all thread, a pipe spacer, we used pvc, a washer and another nut. We threaded the bolt into the hole and used the spacer between the washer and hole and drew the piece out of the block. We used a lot of PB Blaster to get it loose first.
    Sorry for the lousy description of what we used but that is the best way i can explain it. Let me know if you need a picture.

+1
    I finally got the intake out of the way by removing the bracket that holds the ECU and also removing the throttle body. I then cut the pipe in half with an angle grinder, and then used a pair of vise grips to wiggle the two pieces back and forth until they finally came out. What a PITA... Thanks for the help

+1
    Make sure the one you replace it with has the copper end where the hose goes and not the old model with the pot metal fitting for the hose.

Also, you may want to paint the two fittings on the (new) cooling pipe that insert into the cyl block for extra protection against the corrosion.
    Paint is the first barrier that corrosion.

Thread Information