Thread: Help! 951 RAVEs

Help! 951 RAVEs

I am just finishing up my full rebuild on a 951 out of a a 2000 xp I bought that was locked up. Last night I go to put the rave valves in and the PTO side goes in just fine. When I crank down the MAG side bolts the valve becomes lodged and will not freely move up and down. Back the screws out a bit an the valve works but it's obviously not tight. On my 787s I always bolted them tight. Right now I have it loose enough that it will operate. I switched the valves just to check and it happens to both on the mag side, but both work on PTO side. Will the lack of tightness cause it to not work properly? I am worried about an air leak!

+1
    Not sure but try to look were the rave travels and look for a crack or a to long bolt that could be locking up the valve. Is this engine oversize?. Does the raves look like they have been cut or grind? When going oversize depending on the number they recomend to open the rave so it doesn't damage the piston. Happens on the mag side in one specific screw hole ? (sorry for my english) Does the bolts look the same ?

My .02

Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    Not sure but try to look were the rave travels and look for a crack or a to long bolt that could be locking up the valve. Is this engine oversize?. Does the raves look like they have been cut or grind? When going oversize depending on the number they recomend to open the rave so it doesn't damage the piston. Happens on the mag side in one specific screw hole ? (sorry for my english) Does the bolts look the same ?

My .02
    I looked down into the valve cavity and all looks good and is clean as well. I will look again for a crack but didnt see one last night. The engine has been bored .5MM over. The raves were not cut down, but they clear the pistons by far. I even hand cranked the PTO while it was tight and no rubbing or noise.

So your saying one of the screw holes is the issue?

Thread Information