Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did hot rods get problems fixed

I have 3 sticky bearings on crank. I was going to order hotrods crank then I see Horror stories. about them, now what to DO ...?

+1
    Send it to competitive crankshaft or crank works for a rebuild. I have a hotrods in my 1050 and I can't get it to turn more than 6800 no matter what I do. I heard somewhere that the rods are almost 2mm shorter than OEM. I'm sending another crank out to competitive crankshaft and then swap them and see what happens.

+1
    i think hot rods can rebuilt there own products,don't they?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    Send it to competitive crankshaft or crank works for a rebuild. I have a hotrods in my 1050 and I can't get it to turn more than 6800 no matter what I do. I heard somewhere that the rods are almost 2mm shorter than OEM. I'm sending another crank out to competitive crankshaft and then swap them and see what happens.
    It's not the rods. I use hot rods for all of my oem crank rebuilds and do not have have your problem-- their rods are good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    my 1050 and I can't get it to turn more than 6800 no matter what I do. I heard somewhere that the rods are almost 2mm shorter than OEM.
    Surely you would of seen this on your squish measurement ?

If its only turning 6800 look at your prop being too tall,raves not working,exhaust leak,waterbox regulator faulty or too rich carbys.

+1
    I had to have .010" taken off the block to fix an air leak in addition to .040" of the top of the cylinder to get the squish down to .075". So .050" (1.27mm) in total.

Prop is a solas 15/20. turned that at 6600. Repitched to 15/18 and still at 6600. And yes the raves are working, jetted box (no WR), no leaks and carbs have be gone thru to many time to count.

Sorry stars. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

+1
    I have used hotrod cranks for years and never had a problem with them. I have used them in yamaha's that I had in the past and I curently have one in my seadoo xp. No problem what so ever.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Surely you would of seen this on your squish measurement ?

If its only turning 6800 look at your prop being too tall,raves not working,exhaust leak,waterbox regulator faulty or too rich carbys.
    I agree with that. I doubt that a crank can hold you back on RPMs. Bearings will go just as high as they can go and won't "brake" at a certain RPM. They have a limit though and will fail if pushed over that. Also do I doubt that the rods are 2 mm shorter. It just won't have a good compression in my opinion with 2mm short, as the piston won't reach all the way to the top to compress the cylinder.

+1
    The compression problem would have been fixed when I corrected the squish. Your right about the bearings and that they can't brake. But "if" -and that's a big if- the rods are short then there is less stroke=less power/rpms. Please keep in mind there I just heard about this and have not measured the rods for myself. All I know myself is that am missin rpms and so is my buddy on his twin piped RX (he can't get over 6800 either). The only thing we have in common is the hot rods crank.

I'm not accusing hot rods of anything. I am just telling you that I am switching for hot rods back to OEM to see if it helps.

+1
    Length of rods have nothing to do with the stroke. The stroke is same regardless of rod length.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information