+1

Hand grips for 09 FX SHO

Hey guys,

I looked around a bit but really didn't see what i was looking for as far as recent opinions.

After a long 200 mile round trip on the ski down the gorgeous Columbia River here in the Pacific Northwest my hands were damn near destroyed. Everything went well and i had no incidents on this awesome reliable machine. It purred like a big jungle cat as i cruised over the glassy water in the early morning. It handled the rough white caps in the late afternoon like a champ. I got jarred around quite a bit when i got close to the Columbia Bar. One of the most treacherous water ways in the western states. Well, this machine took it without a hitch. Needless to say, i had a damn BLAST!!

Anyways, i was pretty sore when i got back home. At 41 years old, im not as tough as i used to be, i suppose. But i was ok for the most part. Except my hands! My lord they were killing me cause of how hard the hand grips seemed to just cut into me after a while. I know i know, i should have wore my gloves, but the ones i have are so hot in the summer. Stupid, i realize that. And believe me, i learned my lesson.

I figured a better set of grips would be the call. I see these http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...2h5skpiloor2i1 and wondered if anyone is familiar or can comment. Or maybe suggest another set of grips??

ANy info would be great. Thank you for your time.

Sounds like an awesome ride!

Im interested in suggestions too-- I've got '10 FXHOs and want better grips.

I usually use 3/4 finger ski/wakeboard gloves with the gel palms-- the ones i have now are made by O'Brien and work pretty well on long rides

But better grips would be nice!

+1
    i guess no one uses after market grips around here. Very surprising...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    i guess no one uses after market grips around here. Very surprising...
    It's the configuration of the L hand grip for trim. A specific grip would have to be made to replace it. So far as I know, no AM companies are making that grip.

No one uses them because there aren't any available - unless you replace the bars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    It's the configuration of the L hand grip for trim. A specific grip would have to be made to replace it. So far as I know, no AM companies are making that grip.

No one uses them because there aren't any available - unless you replace the bars.
    Ah, that makes sense. I am still surprised that there isnt anything out there though. Thanks for the reply!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. I am still surprised that there isnt anything out there though. Thanks for the reply!
    I agree, wish one of the AM companies would offer a replacement. Looks like the FZ & FX platforms shared a grip part # until 2012, when the FX got an upgrade w/ the hull changes. Presumably, because of the way the left grip/trim control for the FZ & FX is configured, Yamaha priced it at $179.49 (right replacement grip costs just $12.98 ). My guess is the AM companies aren't going to tackle tooling for something that is going to have a selling price anywhere near that.

+1
    Get some of those gel gloves and toss them in your storage bin so you'll have 'em next time.
    200 miles on the Columbia that sounds like a great trip, I would like to run that!

Thread Information