Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 Carbed Modle Probs

2001 GTX 951 carbed engine. I cleaned carbs, replaced all parts included in the 2 kits, and replaced all grey fuel lines. I clean the fuel filter every 2-4 rides and never really see any dirt or goo. The ski runs good at all RPM's except 3400-3600, at this RPM the ski bucks, kicks, sputters and feels like it wants to die. I can hold it in that rpm range till I'm blue in the face and the problem will not clear out.

If I hammer the throttle from that RPM the ski takes off excellent, lots of power, no bog or hesitation what so ever. If I accelerate quickly past the 3400-3600 RPM range I cannot feel any problems. It planes up quickly and throttle response is outstanding. The only time I feel the problem is if I try to ease up on plane or hold my speed around 10-15mph.

What should I start looking for??? Plugs look good problem is still there with brand new plugs. HELP

Did you use new or old springs in kit .Did you do POP off pressure check. was it doing it before rebuild. I'm no carb expert for sure. But info might those who are.

New springs, pop-off set to 20psi, that is what the Clymer and a couple web resources called for. Low speed screws set at OUT 1.5 High speed set at Zero. A quarter turn in either direction for the low speed screws makes the condition worse. The carbs have the factory 162.5 & 75 jets. I syncronized the carbs on the plate they bolt to off the engine. I unhooked the linkage, backed the idle speed screw all the way out, and set the pto throttle plate FULLY closed. Then I hooked the linkage to the mag carb and adjusted till the throttle plate was also Fully closed. Then reset the Idle speed in the water to 1500RPM

Before I went through the carbs the ski had to be choked at 1/4 throttle to start then hammer the throttle and keep above 4000 rpm to keep it running, it would hardly idle or run at all below 4000 rpm. The carbs where full of the grey line blue goo. I stripped them down and dunked in Chem-Tool for an hour each, then put a can of carb cleaner through each one, blowing out every jet and outlet hole. I REALLY cleaned the piss out of them. I used and entire can of carb cleaner on the fuel selector as well. Then replaced EVERY grey line on the ski.

Lots of looks no replies???? I really need some help here!!!! What else can I check or look for????? I REALLLLLLLLLY NEED SOME HELP HERE?????

Did you rebuild fuel pump as well . Last 2 951 i just got had cuts in valves.I would look up pop off for the" exact ski " just to be sure " you might be already" sound like your rich right at pop off point. From what Ive read the more restrictive the air supply the higher the pop off. Be careful with highs mine were more open than that and I burnt a new piston "no leaks" All clean and rebuilt carbs . Bought a bore scope to read piston wash from now on. ALSO If it was that dirty I would pull tank lines out and check pick up screens but that's not the cause of this. NO expert but good memory for what I've read several times.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jsl750&slt750 View Post
    The ski runs good at all RPM's except 3400-3600, at this RPM the ski bucks, kicks, sputters and feels like it wants to die. I can hold it in that rpm range till I'm blue in the face and the problem will not clear out.

HELP
    Assuming that you have cleaned the carbs and they are operating correctly and adjusted for correct fuel atomizing.

So to be clear it will continue to run when at those revs but it only feels like it wants to die because it sputters kicks etc ?
    When you are at those revs and its sputtering then you hammer the throttle does it pull clean to max rpms ?
    My first thoughts are 3500 rpm is where the raves start to work and all 951s have this vibration period at this rev range but once you are past it its fine.
    Check the raves that they are operating correctly (remove and disassemble and clean)
    Look for any vacuum leaks in the rave hoses or module.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Assuming that you have cleaned the carbs and they are operating correctly and adjusted for correct fuel atomizing.

So to be clear it will continue to run when at those revs but it only feels like it wants to die because it sputters kicks etc ?
    When you are at those revs and its sputtering then you hammer the throttle does it pull clean to max rpms ?
    My first thoughts are 3500 rpm is where the raves start to work and all 951s have this vibration period at this rev range but once you are past it its fine.
    Check the raves that they are operating correctly (remove and disassemble and clean)
    Look for any vacuum leaks in the rave hoses or module.
    Yes, it will continue to run at 3400-3600 but it is very distressed, sputtering, kicking, bucking, like an ignition miss bouncing back and forth between cylinders.

Yes again, when I am that rpm and I hammer the throttle, it takes off hard, no hesitation or bog to suggest either a rich or lean condition, it pulls hard and maxes out to 6800ish and around 58mph.

I was thinking the raves as well. How can I check for proper operation at that RPM??? How do I check the solenoid?? I will pull them out tomorrow and clean. I'm running full synthetic Seadoo oil ($47.00 a gallon at the dealer) that is supposed to prevent rave valve gumming.

I also have a 1999 GTX Limited with the 951 and at the 3400-3600 rpm range I can hear a slight popping in the exhaust like a slight misfire or shake but it is still stable, it does not feel like it wants to die. More of a "vibration" as you described perfectly.

Removed the RAVE's today not very dirty they moved up and down very easy by hand. I cleaned what little carbon was on them and cleaned the bore they ride in. Test rode, no difference?????? What controls those valves? Are they adjustable? Where is the vacuume sorce for them located? The hoses from the valves go to a small black thing with wires and another line going under the engine. How do I test that part???I have a Clymer manual but it has nothing about how to test and diagnose RAVE problems.

Removed the RAVE's today not very dirty they moved up and down very easy by hand. I cleaned what little carbon was on them and cleaned the bore they ride in. Test rode, no difference?????? What controls those valves? Are they adjustable? Where is the vacuume sorce for them located? The hoses from the valves go to a small black thing with wires and another line going under the engine. How do I test that part???I have a Clymer manual but it has nothing about how to test and diagnose RAVE problems.
    I had a similar problem with my RX and the local dealer said it could be an electrical problem.... If it idles fine and runs fine in higher RPM's it can't be an engine or fuel problem... Something to look consider maybe

+1

I also have a 1999 GTX Limited with the 951 and at the 3400-3600 rpm range I can hear a slight popping in the exhaust like a slight misfire or shake but it is still stable, it does not feel like it wants to die. More of a "vibration" as you described perfectly.
    Swap the carbs from this ski and see if the problem persists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information