domestic 700 ignition questions

On the non-updated ignition, was there a common failure mode? I have seen the instructions that they will fail, but did they all fail in similar ways? CDI, Stator? coil? If it was the stator, was it the hall pickups or the exciter coils that went bad?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1

Domestic Original Gen I and Gen II Ignition systems tend to fail at the stator

Stators are the failure point.

The 2 exciter coils are prone to fail due to heat and small wire size.

The update created a single exciter with much thicker wire and fewer turns. As a result, the CDI had to be redesigned.
    Last edited by K447; 08-11-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added title for easier searching later on

3. +1 by:

thanks thats what happened to mine.

I have been thinking about the shortage of upgraded stators. I was wondering if anyone has tried to "convert" an old stator to the updated one. they are seem to be based on the same core. If I were to rewind the one exciter to match the specs of the upgraded stator and maybe add a 100 ohm resistor on the hall senders I think it could be made to be electrically equivalent. form what i have seen the old halls were 8 ohms closed vs 110 on the upgrade.

has anyone been down this path yet?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    No need for adding resistors in the Hall Effect circuit, I would think. The CDI is triggered by the sudden and drastic drop in sensor resistance as the timing ring magnet passes by, not by the absolute resistance value at the low.

I do not know if the actual Hall Effect senors differed between the original and Gen III stators. My expectation would be that the differences, if any, would not be consequential.

The idea of rewinding original stators to match Gen III specification is interesting. That said, currently there does not seem to be a problem with supply of Gen III stators (yet). The issue is with Gen III CDI supply.

If indeed the majority of Gen I and Gen II failures are in the stator windings then perhaps there will be a renewed demand for rewinding the original stators when the easy fix of installing an Update Kit is no longer available.

Jet Ski Solutions and RM Stator may see an uptick in demand going forward!

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    the exciter coil is different than the hall sensor,so could a revamped or another exciter from another stator be swapped in,basically rebuild the stator and keep the older cdi and coil as those parts didn't fail

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Can someone tell me what the original stator's exciter coils output 'wattage' is?

How much electrical energy does each of the original exciter coils deliver to the CDI?

Not the battery charging coil, and not the aggregate total for the entire stator. Just the exciter coil output?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Can someone tell me what the original stator's exciter coils output 'wattage' is?

How much electrical energy does each of the original exciter coils deliver to the CDI?

Not the battery charging coil, and not the aggregate total for the entire stator. Just the exciter coil output?
    Not sure, plan to measure it. I have had the wire to rewind stators sitting on my kitchen counter for months. Have yet to build a jig, as there is no way to do it by hand.

Yes, the core is the same. In theory you can rewind the stator to the new style. To make them identical, you would also need to rewind the charging coil. (More turns, fewer poles). The did this to change the position of the exciter. My guess is to develop a charge at a different point in time.

Thread Information