Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

virage water flow

K447, I read your thread on water flow and had a couple thoughts / questions. Since I had a exhaust coolant problem I thought removing the bypass valve would help with water flow. Do you think on a 1200 ficht motor this is wise? would to much pressure harm the EMM or mag / stator case? I also thought I would splice a t fitting in the exit water line off the EMM and put a "pee" nipple in the left side of the hull [like my Yamaha has] so I can see if water is flowing. I noticed someone removed the screen on the exhaust maniifold coolant fitting, is this important to have? What do you think?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you have weeds or other stuff clogging the water inlet in the jet pump, that will cause an overheat no matter what you do with the thermostat or pressure bypass valve.

The thermostat and pressure bypass valve are there for good reason. These two work together to maintain a reasonable water pressure at idle and low RPM, while allowing greater water flow and moderating pressure at higher engine RPM. And of course the thermostat helps maintain a stable engine temperature at the same idle and low RPM conditions.

By maintaining higher water pressure in the system there is sufficient water pressure available to flow through the stator cover and EMM. Removing the bypass valve will reduce pressure everywhere and also reduce water flow through the EMM.

The screen for the exhaust water injection is there to prevent a grain of sand or other small debris from clogging the water injection orifice. A lack of water injection into the exhaust pipe can result in a melted exhaust hose.

I am presently in the process of reinstalling the engine into my MSX 140 and one of the new modifications is the entire EMM water flow will now exit through a pisser. In my case the pisser has 1/4 diameter exit ID which I think should be enough. Will be interesting to see how much pressure is behind it at various engine RPM.

K447,
    I will leave the presure valve an thermostat alone as you sugest, what do you think about my idea of a T fitting to allow for a pisser out the right side? I would not alter the factory outlet in the rear just add the pisser.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you have weeds or other stuff clogging the water inlet in the jet pump, that will cause an overheat no matter what you do with the thermostat or pressure bypass valve.

The thermostat and pressure bypass valve are there for good reason. These two work together to maintain a reasonable water pressure at idle and low RPM, while allowing greater water flow and moderating pressure at higher engine RPM. And of course the thermostat helps maintain a stable engine temperature at the same idle and low RPM conditions.

By maintaining higher water pressure in the system there is sufficient water pressure available to flow through the stator cover and EMM. Removing the bypass valve will reduce pressure everywhere and also reduce water flow through the EMM.

The screen for the exhaust water injection is there to prevent a grain of sand or other small debris from clogging the water injection orifice. A lack of water injection into the exhaust pipe can result in a melted exhaust hose.

I am presently in the process of reinstalling the engine into my MSX 140 and one of the new modifications is the entire EMM water flow will now exit through a pisser. In my case the pisser has 1/4 diameter exit ID which I think should be enough. Will be interesting to see how much pressure is behind it at various engine RPM.
    water flows to the emm 1st then to the stator cover.if you put a pisser off the emm how are you going to cool the cover.i over heated one of my msx,s and the only cause i found was the water inlet screen was missing.it has directional holes in it.replaced it and heating problem was solved.

Well now I'm really confused, the hose comming off the EMM on both my TXI ski's on the right side go to the exhaust and the left side [sitting on ski] is comming from the stator. Did someone in the past hook this up wrong? what is the direction of flow in order of cooling?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rr44red View Post
    water flows to the emm 1st then to the stator cover...
    On all my Ficht machines (factory configuration) the main cooling water supply (3/4" hose) comes from the jet pump, splits at a tee fitting and then the smaller hose runs to the stator cover inlet nipple. From the stator cover exit nipple the water then flows into the EMM. Out from the EMM the water exits at the exhaust hull fitting.

Ok good, that is how my ski is hooked up. Your thoughts on the pee tube out the right side while also keeping the factory line out the exhaust hooked up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout View Post
    ... Your thoughts on the pee tube out the right side while also keeping the factory line out the exhaust hooked up.
    Why have both?

The exhaust water exit has minimal flow restriction, hence i would expect there would be relatively minor water pressure to the pisser.

K447, Just to know that water is flowing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout View Post
    K447, Just to know that water is flowing.
    Why not just have the pisser alone?

Choose a pisser with a large enough ID to roughly match the factory water exit and cap off the old fitting at the exhaust (a 1/4" MPT brass plug fits into the exhaust exit hole to replace the stock brass elbow)

Edit: One downside to having the EMM exit water flow only through a pisser is that the EMM will no longer self drain via gravity.

The stock factory cooling system is designed to self drain when the engine is off and (Ficht engines only) the nose of the machine is tilted upwards more than ten degrees. Gravity drains the water out of the engine and also out of the water cooled stator cover and the EMM.

The normal EMM water exit is down low at the exhaust hull fitting, where gravity allows the water in the EMM to drain out.

Relocating the EMM water exit up to a pisser location above the hull bond line means the factory water draining path has been changed.

In my case I intend to use compressed air applied to the pisser fitting to blow all the water out of the EMM and stator cover. I will do this during winterizing. During the riding season I will not worry about any water that may be trapped in the EMM cooling loop.
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Self draining cooling system notes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information