Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Ski check engine light on break in period question

Ok I may be asking stupid questions so please excuse me in advanced if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to owning Sea Doo and I have a question. Today I finally got to go out on the lake to ride both my 2012 RXT 260 and my 2008 RXT X. The question I have is as most of us know there's a 5 to 10 hour period where you are supposed to break the motor in and variate the RPM's. The question that I have is today I decided to go into sport mode just to see how quicker the engine performs and when in sport mode if I hit the throttle to get up and go I receive a flashing engine light that says check engine. I called the dealership and they say it is a normal mechanism built in to limit you from going too fast and messing up the engine. The other question I have though is when out of sport mode and in touring mode the ski is significantly weaker and basically tops out at 40 miles and won't go any faster. I want to know if this is normal during the break in period or if maybe there's something go on that shouldn't be. My uncle said prior to switching the modes he was up to about 50 or so and then he heard an alert beeping. I also noticed humming, but I'm thinking it's the supercharger when you accelarate. If any one has knowledge of this or been through this with their skis during the break in period let me know. The dealership could care less about my newbie questions as they have already sold me a ski and I just want to protect my investment, but am confused why I can only go around 40-50 miles limited. Is there a key setting or something off? I was using the DESS key by the way not the learner. Thanks in advanced.

+1
    During the first 5 hours of run time, the ECU will limit engine speed and RPM as a protection measure. Once you pass the 5 hours, the computer will release the lockout and you'll be free to speed away as you please.. But I do still recommend being easy on the throttle until 10 hours.

I believe this lockout extends to Sport mode as well.

I had the same break in with my 2012 GTX 215.

-k

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bumnt View Post
    During the first 5 hours of run time, the ECU will limit engine speed and RPM as a protection measure. Once you pass the 5 hours, the computer will release the lockout and you'll be free to speed away as you please.. But I do still recommend being easy on the throttle until 10 hours.

I believe this lockout extends to Sport mode as well.

I had the same break in with my 2012 GTX 215.

-k
    Any idea on the engine light coming on? More an indicator to let you know you're not supposed to be throttling that high as far as speed and RPM or should I get it checked out? And man it really sucks the 2008 RXT X is ridiculous man that thing is crazy and I know this one is going to be abeast too. Just trying to do everything the right way as I know these things aren't cheap. Do you know at which RPM and speed though the cpu generally locks you out? thanks for the reply.

+1
    Again trying to see if the brief engine notification is due to it saving your engine from damage. And if the top speed only around 40 is normal. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson44 View Post
    Again trying to see if the brief engine notification is due to it saving your engine from damage. And if the top speed only around 40 is normal. Thanks.
    No it is not normal! If the engine light comes on there is a problem and you should be able to do 60+ during break in!! Take it back to the dealer!

6. +1 by:

+1
    Take that ski to the dealer immediately, this is definitely F'd up. There should be NO engine light what so ever, Sport Mode is available right now. That ski should be going mid 60's with just a few hours and be going 68-69 by the 5-7 hour point depending on how aggressive you are breaking it in.

That ski needs to be looked at right now and then lake tested by the dealer - DEMAND IT!

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Take that ski to the dealer immediately, this is definitely F'd up. There should be NO engine light what so ever, Sport Mode is available right now. That ski should be going mid 60's with just a few hours and be going 68-69 by the 5-7 hour point depending on how aggressive you are breaking it in.

That ski needs to be looked at right now and then lake tested by the dealer - DEMAND IT!
    Yeah man the engine light comes in when sport mode is activated and I try to take off real fast then I hear a loud beeping notification that alerts me and it says check engine. If I'm in tour mode I'm able to take off with a whole lot less power but the max speed I was seeing in tour mode was like 40-45 and the ski just wouldn't go any faster. I'm new to owning and knew about the break in period from reading on this board, but was told by the dealer to vary the RPM but I could take it up to full speed if I wanted as long as I didn't keep it at the same RPM for to long and to not ride it wide open extended. I'm extremely worried now that you guys are saying the ski is messed up as it was purchased brand new. Hopefully it's nothing major or else I'mma be pissed. The ski rides normall in touring mode no notifications what so ever. I tried pushing it to go up in the 50 range but it just wouldn't go. I realize there's water conditions etc, but on my 2008 granted its broken in I was skipping across the lake at 68 so I'm not sure what's wrong. Thanks again for the replies.

+1
    Bring it to the dealer and have it checked there have been recent updates to the firmware for the Bosch skis.

11. +1 by:

+1
    +1

13. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Bring it to the dealer and have it checked there have been recent updates to the firmware for the Bosch skis.
    Again I can't thank everyone enough for chiming in on the problem. The dealer I purchased the skis from is in San Jose which is about a 2 and half hour drive from where I live. Does it have to be that specific dealer or would my local dealer be able to check it out under warranty? So your'e thinking it's a firmware issue and not a mechanical? Obviously I know you guys can't internet diagnose me and the ultimate answer will come at the dealership, but trying to ascertain what is going on so I know exactly what to complain about. A 2012 machine shouldn't screw up the first time you use it idealy. Makes no sense hoping it's something silly or something that may have been over looked, but seeing an engine light in any mechanical vehicle is a bad sign that scares the hell out of you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information