1995 900 ZXi no propulsion

I have been searching for some solutions for this problem and have come up empty handed. I recently purchased a 1995 900 ZXi, my first ski, that has been sitting for 4 years or so. I drained all the fuel, cleaned carbs new filters, plugs etc. The ski runs great but first time I put it in the water it just doesn't want to go faster than an idle speed. I checked the impeller it looks fine no obstructions and it does spin. The motor will rev up to 6000+ rpm. I also noticed that there was no water coming out of the output on the side of the hull, i haven't had the chance to flush the cooling system. Feels like if it were a car that the clutch is slipping. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Although this is my first ski I have extensive motorcylce and automotive mechanic experience.

+1
    Look for excessive clearance between the impeller and housing, about .025" max. Look for missing sealant around where the pump attaches to the hull.

You probably have a bug's nest in the line for the peehole. Don't blow air through it because you might rupture the hose. Instead, take the fitting out and clean the hose with a piece of weedeater line and a clean the fitting with a piece of wire.

If the jet pump is cavitating, you won't get good water flow out the peehole because the jet pump is the source of your cooling water.l

Thanks for the input I havent had the chance to mess with it yet but tonight after work I should be able to put a feeler gauge to the impeller. Should I remove the pump and measure from the hull side or the cone side?

+1
    For the time being, you probably don't need to actually measure it, but eyeball it. If it looks like you have more than a fingernail thickness of gap, it's probably too much.

Well it doesn't look like more than a fingernail size gap but I think I found the problem. Looking at the intake grate there was a huge wad of hydrilla that was sucked into it, gotta love Lake Austin haha. I checked all the lines and the bilge lines and the pee holes were caked with mud dobber nests way up inside them. I should have checked them before I took it out. But now I need to get a new grommet for the pee hole because it tore on me. I took it to Lake Austin since it is constant level and this one ramp is free to launch but the hydrilla is really thick right now. Not going to launch it there next time. Thanks for the help. I will post my results from my next test ride

Thread Information