Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winterization

winterization

Just curious, for those of you who do their own winterization what exactly do you do? I read the one thread on this site about what SD recommends but some of it seems unnecessary. For example why would I change the oil and flush the coolant in the fall, when it makes more sense to do it in the spring. What I plan to do is:
    -top off tank and add stabilizer, and let it run so the fuel stabilizer gets into the fuel lines
    -fog the motor
    -lube throttle cable and exposed metal parts
    -remove battery
    -verify jet pump grease (is there a thread on how to do this?)

Dealers want way too much to do this...I've winterized my GSX and RX-DI and never had an issue. I just wanted to know if there was anything you guys recommend. Everytime you ask the dealer they give you a half assed answer cuz they want you to bring it in.

cheers!

Thanks for the links. I seen the one from sea-doo.net, and was wondering why it is necessary to replace the stock antifreeze/coolant. As my RXP has only 60hrs on it, and is stock, is there a need to drain it and replace?
    Also what is the best way to flush the exhaust? Is this even required if you only ride in fresh water?

I think it is just a recommendation and everyone's "winterization" procedures will vary from owner to owner, on changing the antifreeze. I personally don't plan on doing that. I ride fresh as well and don't flush after every ride. But, fluching the exhaust with some fresh water one final time right before winterization is a good idea. Just in case there is some debris or any other unwanted stuff in there ya may have picked up on the last ride. You don't want that just laying there during the winter. The owners manual has the directions on how to flush the exhaust.

I'll more than likely flush the exhaust just to be on the safe side. No harm in doing so I guess.

Re: winterization

Quote Originally Posted by North49
    verify jet pump grease (is there a thread on how to do this?)

Dealers want way too much to do this...I've winterized my GSX and RX-DI and never had an issue.
    cheers!
    I agree, the dealers will "RAPE" you on things we can do ourselves. Checking the pump grease is very easy. If you don't have one yet, I would highly recommend you purchase the shop manual for your Doo. Also, check the "Important RXP Information" link on this site. You should find the posts very helpful.

I have been looking on ebay for the shop manual. I hope to get one soon.

+1
    What's the time between rides that requires winterization? 1 month, 3 months? I've never done it since historically I've ridden 9-10 months out of the year. Not sure if I will be doing that this year or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett
    What's the time between rides that requires winterization? 1 month, 3 months? I've never done it since historically I've ridden 9-10 months out of the year. Not sure if I will be doing that this year or not.
    WOW, 10 months out of the year must be nice. I try to ride into December and then put 'er to bed until March. Last year the only thing I did was a fresh water flush, took the battery out and used the "Battery Tender Plus" from Deltran and a full tank of gas with some stabilizer in it.

I usually go out until November, and back out in late April, on warmer days. I had taken my RXP to the dealer last year because of some warranty issues, so I just had them do the winterization. They basically bent me over a barrel for the cost of the winterization. That's why this year I figured I would do it myself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information