Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage Electrical blues..

Hey guys im a bit of a newby to the polaris skis but i seem to have an electrical problem that i cant figure out. I took the ski out yesterday and it started up and ran great. When i shut it down to stop for a while it wouldnt start back up (actually nothing happened at all when i pressed the start button) . So we floated around a bit while i looked around and toyed with the typical things such as are the battery leads screwed down tight...

Then, All of a sudden i tried the start button and the ski cranked and turned over. So we headed for the ramp and when we arrived i killed the engine and when i tried to start it again nothing...

Now that i have the ski on the trailer ive opened up the ebox and tried a few different things but the only thing that seems to be constant is that if i disconnect the battery and then reconnect it will crank and start ONCE and then it wont do anything again until i disconnect and reconnect the battery

I believe its more than the start stop switch because i disconnected the switch and jumped it with a piece of wire and the same thing is occurring.

Thanks for any and all the help that you guys can provide!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

There are two issues (that I can think of right off the bat) that can cause these symptoms.

First test is to bypass the LR Start/Stop module. If the problem goes away when the Start/Stop module is bypassed then your need a new module.

The second possibility is less likely. Confirm that your CDI is connected to the Orange switched power wire, per service bulletin PWC-00-05. My understanding is that your CDI should have been wired this way from the factory, but it is worth checking.

See my signature links for the details.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

There are two issues (that I can think of right off the bat) that can cause these symptoms.

First test is to bypass the LR Start/Stop module. If the problem goes away when the Start/Stop module is bypassed then your need a new module.

The second possibility is less likely. Confirm that your CDI is connected to the Orange switched power wire, per service bulletin PWC-00-05. My understanding is that your CDI should have been wired this way from the factory, but it is worth checking.

See my signature links for the details.
    Thanks k447! Ive been doing some browsing around and it seems youre really on top of the polaris stuff that is a bit alien to me. Ill give what you mentioned a try!

K447, it seems the LR-503 module is shot. I bypassed everything as directed and it started right up and i killed the engine with the lanyard. Thank you for sharing the link from your signature. There is a wealth of information there! The only thing i couldnt find is where i can get a new module.

Last question, I know that you said that bypassing the module is for diagnostic purposes only, BUT some family is in town and i promised them a ride on the ski. Why is bypassing the module a bad thing? I can live without the stop feature and just pull the lanyard if thats the only down side.

Thanks again

+1
    With the LR Start/Stop module bypassed several important things occur;

1) The Start/Stop button does NOT stop the engine!
    In a moment of rider confusion there is a risk of collision or other unexpected result since the engine keeps running.

2) Pressing the Start/Stop button when the engine is already running will re-engage the starter motor.
    There is a risk of damage to the Bendix, flywheel and starter, especially if this happens repeatedly or the Start/Stop button is held down.

3) If the lanyard switch were to fail and the Stop button is already non-functional there is no way to stop the engine.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    don't do dat!

(specially with family)

rent a ski for the day..far far cheaper then having a problem with family

Thanks for all the help guys! Now i just need to find a new module which is proving to be a bit more difficult than i expected

OKAY so after bypassing the module the ski acted just as expected. (starts and then stops with the lanyard) That was 3 or 4 days ago and im now waiting on the new module, BUT last night i thought id start the ski up for a minute and Nothing!. Lanyard in or out, i cant get the thing to crank. I checked the ground, relay wires, battery terminals etc. and cant find any loose wires. Any suggestions?

+1
    Recheck everything. Check battery voltage, check the module bypass connections, etc.

Is the display showing the Locked message when you press Start?

Rechecked everything and im getting a VERY faint click when i hit the start button.

I have the old(original) relay is there any chance it could be that and is there a way to test it?

one thing id like to make sure of is that i have the right wires connected to each circuit breaker. I dont think i mixed them up but to make sure if anyone knows the wire color combinations that may help.

unfortunately the display is broken so no help there

Also is it okay to replace the circuit breakers with 15amp fuses temporarily to be sure thats not a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information