Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuffed an RXP

+1

Stuffed an RXP

Was accelerating hard, still under 80, and had to let off for a boat wake to keep it off the limiter and it stuffed! Tail up, nose down... now I know what it feels like. Got back on the throttle while bench pressing the handlebars and kept the nose above water. I thought the RXP stuffing issue surfaced closer to 90. I can't run that speed at this elevation, but am getting close near sea level.
    Are pressure relief's needed? I've found info concerning the p-x models. Would a single prv (1inch) work on an rxp?
    Thanks!

+1
    You will not fit anything bigger than 3/4 in the shoe because the 90 street elbow will not spin without hitting

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Was accelerating hard, still under 80, and had to let off for a boat wake to keep it off the limiter and it stuffed! Tail up, nose down... now I know what it feels like. Got back on the throttle while bench pressing the handlebars and kept the nose above water. I thought the RXP stuffing issue surfaced closer to 90. I can't run that speed at this elevation, but am getting close near sea level.
    Are pressure relief's needed? I've found info concerning the p-x models. Would a single prv (1inch) work on an rxp?
    Thanks!
    On a RXP take a good look under the ski at grate, pumpshoe and rideplate. Something down there must be broken for a RXP to stuff at -80. Stock grate?

+1
    I'm currently using a Riva grate and it's working well. This is the first time it's misbehaved, even above 80 it's been fine. I'll run a half inch or three quarter relief if needed.
    I spent considerable time mating the grate to hull to ride plate. Chiseling off my work to try a new grate doesn't sound fun. I will if necessary though (winter project).
    How does the R&D differ from Riva? I'm assuming the R&D directs less water to the pump. I don't monitor tunnel pressure either.
    Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    I'm currently using a Riva grate and it's working well. This is the first time it's misbehaved, even above 80 it's been fine. I'll run a half inch or three quarter relief if needed.
    I spent considerable time mating the grate to hull to ride plate. Chiseling off my work to try a new grate doesn't sound fun. I will if necessary though (winter project).
    How does the R&D differ from Riva? I'm assuming the R&D directs less water to the pump. I don't monitor tunnel pressure either.
    Thanks!

I miss read your thread a bit and thought you had an X boat,I would do as JP explained and look for something broken in the pump /tunnel area...As JP stated for a 215 HP RXP to stuff under 80 isnt normal...The information i posted pertained to the X boats and im gonna remove it being it is wrong information...

+1
    The only time I had any issues running over 80 on a RXP was when the front of the pump shoe broke. RPMs was good but speed was down, if I chopped the throttle it felt similar to what I would call a start to a stuff. But not as bad as yours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    On a RXP take a good look under the ski at grate, pumpshoe and rideplate. Something down there must be broken for a RXP to stuff at -80. Stock grate?

2 degree wedge, riva grate, 15/20r, 87mm.
    I've left the shop, but will look tomorrow while I go through my checklist, retorqueing this and that and check clamps...etc.
    I rode another hour, gradually working my way back to speed and all was well. I hit a few more waves and nothing happened. Maybe I caught a piece of debris in the wake.
    All I know is one time is enough. I'll add the prv to the winter work list to be safe.
    Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated!

+1
    Only time I ever had a stuff issue on a p was running a riva plate with wedge. Happened from chopping the throttle at around 85mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Only time I ever had a stuff issue on a p was running a riva plate with wedge. Happened from chopping the throttle at around 85mph.
    +1 also have heard the Riva plate caused a stuff at 80 with a wedge on a RXP.

+1
    Have never run into an issue running a P up to 90 as long as it was setup right. Like JP said you need to take a really hard look at everything underneath and make sure shoe and or grate is not coming apart.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information