Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Stuffed an RXP

  1. #1
    Mothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    2,996
    +1
    1,477

    Stuffed an RXP

    Was accelerating hard, still under 80, and had to let off for a boat wake to keep it off the limiter and it stuffed! Tail up, nose down... now I know what it feels like. Got back on the throttle while bench pressing the handlebars and kept the nose above water. I thought the RXP stuffing issue surfaced closer to 90. I can't run that speed at this elevation, but am getting close near sea level.
    Are pressure relief's needed? I've found info concerning the p-x models. Would a single prv (1inch) work on an rxp?
    Thanks!


  2. #2
    boost junkie skidoochris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison, Mi
    Posts
    4,494
    +1
    476
    You will not fit anything bigger than 3/4 in the shoe because the 90 street elbow will not spin without hitting

  3. #3
    Having Fun jp1300r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,334
    +1
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Was accelerating hard, still under 80, and had to let off for a boat wake to keep it off the limiter and it stuffed! Tail up, nose down... now I know what it feels like. Got back on the throttle while bench pressing the handlebars and kept the nose above water. I thought the RXP stuffing issue surfaced closer to 90. I can't run that speed at this elevation, but am getting close near sea level.
    Are pressure relief's needed? I've found info concerning the p-x models. Would a single prv (1inch) work on an rxp?
    Thanks!
    On a RXP take a good look under the ski at grate, pumpshoe and rideplate. Something down there must be broken for a RXP to stuff at -80. Stock grate?

  4. #4
    Mothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    2,996
    +1
    1,477
    I'm currently using a Riva grate and it's working well. This is the first time it's misbehaved, even above 80 it's been fine. I'll run a half inch or three quarter relief if needed.
    I spent considerable time mating the grate to hull to ride plate. Chiseling off my work to try a new grate doesn't sound fun. I will if necessary though (winter project).
    How does the R&D differ from Riva? I'm assuming the R&D directs less water to the pump. I don't monitor tunnel pressure either.
    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    I'm currently using a Riva grate and it's working well. This is the first time it's misbehaved, even above 80 it's been fine. I'll run a half inch or three quarter relief if needed.
    I spent considerable time mating the grate to hull to ride plate. Chiseling off my work to try a new grate doesn't sound fun. I will if necessary though (winter project).
    How does the R&D differ from Riva? I'm assuming the R&D directs less water to the pump. I don't monitor tunnel pressure either.
    Thanks!

    I miss read your thread a bit and thought you had an X boat,I would do as JP explained and look for something broken in the pump /tunnel area...As JP stated for a 215 HP RXP to stuff under 80 isnt normal...The information i posted pertained to the X boats and im gonna remove it being it is wrong information...

  6. #6
    DaveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,362
    +1
    41
    The only time I had any issues running over 80 on a RXP was when the front of the pump shoe broke. RPMs was good but speed was down, if I chopped the throttle it felt similar to what I would call a start to a stuff. But not as bad as yours.

  7. #7
    Mothman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    2,996
    +1
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    On a RXP take a good look under the ski at grate, pumpshoe and rideplate. Something down there must be broken for a RXP to stuff at -80. Stock grate?

    2 degree wedge, riva grate, 15/20r, 87mm.
    I've left the shop, but will look tomorrow while I go through my checklist, retorqueing this and that and check clamps...etc.
    I rode another hour, gradually working my way back to speed and all was well. I hit a few more waves and nothing happened. Maybe I caught a piece of debris in the wake.
    All I know is one time is enough. I'll add the prv to the winter work list to be safe.
    Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated!

  8. #8
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    Only time I ever had a stuff issue on a p was running a riva plate with wedge. Happened from chopping the throttle at around 85mph.

  9. #9
    GPRXP vspec1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,517
    +1
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Only time I ever had a stuff issue on a p was running a riva plate with wedge. Happened from chopping the throttle at around 85mph.
    +1 also have heard the Riva plate caused a stuff at 80 with a wedge on a RXP.

  10. #10
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    Have never run into an issue running a P up to 90 as long as it was setup right. Like JP said you need to take a really hard look at everything underneath and make sure shoe and or grate is not coming apart.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to spin out an RXP.
    By MikeTrin in forum Videos & Pictures
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 04:58 PM
  2. Debatingon an RXP over an RXT
    By Pettee in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 01:51 PM
  3. I need an RXP Paint Code
    By 1 FAST VE in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
  4. What does it take for a GP1300R to beat an RXP?
    By Lurker in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 12:49 PM
  5. Will 11 buy an RXP or RXT?
    By MikeTrin in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •